Tag Archives: Khalifa Haftar

Trump and Haftar discussed need for peace

White House informed that President Donald Trump had a telephone conversation with  Libyan Commander Khalifa Haftar and discussed “ongoing counter terrorism efforts and the need to achieve peace and stability in Libya.

The telephone call took place on April 15, Monday, however it was announced by the administration only by the end of the week.

Commander Haftar has double US and Libyan citizenship.

President Trumprecognized Field Marshal Haftar‘s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources, and the two discussed a shared vision for Libya’s transition to a stable, democratic political system,” the White House said in its official readout of the call.

 

 

Italy against military intervention in Libya

Italian Prime minister Giuseppe Conte (pictured)  said any foreign military intervention in Libya would not resolve the conflict in its former colony, warning that it might trigger a refugee exodus across the Mediterranean.

A military option cannot be a solution,” Conte told daily Il Fatto Quotidiano newspaper in an interview published on April 13.

This week Interior Minister Matteo Salvini  said he would not “stand by” if France were to block peace in Libya.
“If there were economic interests behind the chaos in Libya, if France blocked a European initiative to bring peace, if that were true, I won’t stand by and watch,” he said on Italian radio.
Also because the Italians would pay the consequences“.
Salvini said “if someone for business (interests) plays war, they’ve found the wrong minister in me“.

Tripoli hospitals report wounded

Hospitals near Libyan capital Tripoli have reported 47 people dead and 181 wounded in last few days since troops under Commander Khalifa Haftar announced counter-terrorist operation.

Commander Haftar reportedly told the UN chief that his operation towards Tripoli will continue until terrorism has been defeated. Haftar‘s forces said they had lost at least 19 fighters.

However till present Haftar has not  announced any long-term plan apart from eliminating terrorism, ravaging Tripoli.

Lavrov accuses NATO in destruction of Libya

Russia’s top diplomat Sergey Lavrov underlined that the cause of the Libyan crisis today lies in NATO’s actions back in 2011. He pointed out that, since then, Libya has become a failed state and a ‘black hole’ for terrorists, arms trafficking and illegal migrant flows.

It is very difficult to move forward without understanding the underlying causes,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov continued. “…We would like Libyans themselves to determine their fate and begin an inclusive, businesslike dialogue without any artificial deadlines imposed on them from outside and without attempts to rush Libyans against their will.”

We are concerned about the fact that some armed groups in certain parts of Libya said they would use warplanes against the Libyan National Army,” he pointed out. “Those who have influence with these units, must prevent this escalation.

Lavrov stressed that the global community needed to call on the Libyans to cease hostilities and sit down at the negotiating table.

Russia is opposed to blame the Libyan crisis on one of the side of the conflict,  Minister said following talks with his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry.

Today we discussed Libya in detail taking into account the developments there. We keep a close eye on the armed forces’ advance, including the Libyan National Army and other groups, including those, which are illegal armed groups and control a considerable part of the country’s capital and some other areas,” Lavrov said. “We exchanged information on how this situation is discussed by the UN Security Council. We are opposed to attempts to apportion blame unilaterally.”

Moscow maintains contacts with all Libyan parties. “We welcomed contacts between Libyan National Army Commander Khalifa Haftar and head of the Government of National Accord Fayez al-Sarraj,” Russsian diplomat said. “During our contacts with all Libyan political forces, we send them the same signals, and we have never tried to bank on anyone. I am certain this is the way one should act in this case.”

He drew attention to the fact that the UN Security Council would convene again on Saturday to get detailed information on the developments in that country.

UNSC calls Haftar to halt march on Tripoli

United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and the G7 are calling on Marshal Khalifa Haftar to halt the advancement of troops on Libya capital Tripoli. (Image above: illustration).

After a closed-door emergency meeting on situation in Libya, the UNSC warned that those responsible for reigniting the conflict would be held to account.

The UN Security Council addressed their call to the Commander Haftar, while ongoing fighting has been reported in Tripoli‘s international airport( 30 km south of the capital).

German Ambassador Christoph Heusgen, who holds the Council presidency called on Libyan National Army (LNA) forces led by Commander Haftar to “halt all military movements” and “on all forces to de-escalate military activity“.

The call of the UNSC is in direct contradiction with the decision of the Tobruk Parliament, endorsing the advancement of the troops on Tripoli to “eliminate terrorists“, who keep hostage the peaceful development of the country. The same message has been delivered by the Commander himself in talks with the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres. Libyan capital has been suffering numerous terrorist attacks, including explosion and burning down of the governmental buildings.

Meanwhile in social media there are new photographs and reports published, illustrating further advancement of Commander Haftar troops, including taking control over Tripoli Airport.

Haftar troops control Tripoli Airport

Libyan Marshal Khalifa Haftar troops took control over Tripoli Airport, Al-Arabiya TV channel reports, quoting a relevant press-release, issued by the Commander. (Image above: illustration).

The march on the capital has been announced as an counter-terrorist operation, which will be ongoing until the terrorists are “eliminated”, the Commander explained to the UN Secretary General  Antonio Guterres. Marshal Haftar march on Libyan capital is endorsed by Tobruk Parliament, the document is available in Arabic language.

Haftar march on Tripoli continues

I leave Libya with a heavy heart and deeply concerned. I still hope it is possible to avoid a bloody confrontation in and around Tripoli. The UN is committed to facilitating a political solution and, whatever happens, the UN is committed to supporting the Libyan people” wrote the Antonio Guterres in his Twitter micro blog. The message came after his visit to Libya for meeting with eastern commander Khalifa Haftar who has declared his troops are marching on the capital Tripoli in an counter-terrorist operation, supported by Tobruk Parliament. Marshal Khalifa Haftar told UN Secretary General that counter-terrorist operation will continue until complete ‘elimination of terrorism‘, Al-Arabiya TV reported.

At present there are conflicting reports about an ongoing offensive in Tripoli area.

The same pan-Arab channel reported Marshal Haftar troops “took control ” of Suq al-Khamis  village some 40 km south of Tripoli, further they moved took over Ben-Hashir, a town 34 km from Tripoli, and now there are heading the airport.

 

Image above: illustration.

« Older Entries Recent Entries »