Tag Archives: Khalifa Haftar

UN staff killed in explosion

“The U.N. does not intend to evacuate from Libya,” the assistant secretary-general for peace operations, Bintou Keita, told the UN Security Council, which condemned the recent attack in Benghazi, Libya.

A car bomb explosion in Benghazi killed three U.N. staff members and two other mission members on, the United Nations said.The attack came as the United Nations was negotiating a truce in the capital Tripoli, where the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) force launched an military operation in April.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the attack, a spokesman said in a statement. 

The United Nations gave no further details, indicating some of its casualties had been members working in Benghazi, the. LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari told press two of those killed were guards with the U.N. Libya mission, and 10 people had been wounded, including young children.

The explosion happened in front of a crowded shopping mall and bank. One burned-out U.N. car could be seen in the street.

Around the time of the blast, LNA commander Khalifa Haftar announced a halt to military operations for 48 hours during the Muslim Eid al-Adha celebrations, which started on July 10.

Before the weekend, the government in Tripoli confirmed that they had already accepted a U.N. proposal for a ceasefire during the holiday.

Libya: dozens killed in Murzuq airstrike

More than 30 individuals have been killed in an air strike on the southern Libyan oasis town of Murzuq in the historic region of Fezzan, populated mostly by Dawada people, but also by Tuareg. (Image above: illustration).

Eastern Libyan (historicaly region of Cirenaica) forces under the leadership  of Marshall Khalifa Haftar confirmed an assault on August 4, but denied any responsibility for the death of civilians.

Despite expected movement  for unity among the Tuareg and other southern Libyan minorities, at present the situation in Fezzan  stays fragile, and the future of the province remains obscure.

In reality Fezzan is unstable in absence of unity among Tuareg communities vis-à-vis the events in TripoliThe Tuareg are hugely disappointed with the results of the regime change, which did not fulfill any from the multiple promises made by the West.

Population of Fezzan is plagued by lack of basic healthcare, access to water, education and jobs – all resulting in low living standards, depression and crime. The infrastructures, including developed by state electric grids erected during Colonel Gaddafi rule, have dilapidated without maintenance, and are out of use, and there no opportunities to restore them until the conflict is ravaging Libya.
Many men left Fezzan to join different battling militant groups in search for earnings.

Both Fayez Al Sarraj in Tripoli, and Khalifa Haftar in Benghazi are struggling  for alliance with different tribes in Fezzan: Tuareg and Toubou (Teda and Dazagra). 

Like the supported by the West government of  Al-Sarraj, Haftar has equally alliances among Tuareg, multiplying promises.

For Europe significance of Fezzan has risen dramatically  after  Libyan state collapse, which left southern borders unattended, and opened a broad gate for illegal migration from from the Sahel to Mediterranean coast – the so called sub-Saharan migrant route.

AMENDED:

“Indiscriminate attacks on densely populated residential areas may amount to war crimes and must cease immediately. As High Representative / Vice-President Mogherini stated on behalf of the EU on 2 August, those committing war crimes and those breaching International Humanitarian Law must be brought to justice and held to account” the European External Action Service reacted on Murzuq attack on its official Twitter account.

EU reminds Libya humanitarian law obligation

An attack on a field hospital this weekend on the Airport Road cost the lives of four doctors and one paramedic and injured eight medical personnel. A school in Al-Alamain was also hit. Such civilian infrastructure is protected under international law. We remind all parties of their obligation to uphold international humanitarian law and we expect a thorough and independent investigation so that those responsible are held accountable” the European External Action Service spokesperson said.

The fighting in and around Tripoli has taken too many lives. The interest of the Libyan people must be put first by de-escalating the situation and resuming dialogue in order to identify a lasting political solution to the conflict as part of the UN-led process” the statement continues.

The field hospital located on the airport road was hit by an air raid,” said Tripoli health ministry spokesperson Lamine al-Hashemi.

“Five doctors were killed and seven other people, including rescuers wounded” in the attack that al-Hashemi accused of warplane of Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar.

Tripoli battle victims toll rising

The UN has recorded close to 350 people killed, including 22 civilians, and over 1,650 wounded, including 74 civilians. human rights High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet informed, expressing serious concerns . The actual number of civilians killed or injured “is likely to be higher”, she added.

The Tripoli counter-terrorism operation led by the LNA became the biggest military confrontation in Libya since the 2011 assassination of Muammar Gaddafi, This week fighting have intensified again with both sides using heavy artillery.

Fighting broke out in Tripoli at the beginning of April, when Marshall Khalifa Haftar, Commander of the Libyan National Army, announced counter-terrorist operation, liberating Tripoli from militia, keeping the city hostage, also preventing diplomats and international community to return to the capital.  By the second week of the month, casualties were hundreds of killed and wounded, and thousands of displaced.

While regional and international players support the rival factions, the battle for Tripoli continues.

Red Cross leaves Tripoli

Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross () in Libya left Tripoli, according to their own statement on the Twitter micro blog page.

According to  the Red Cross assessment around 30 000 inhabitants has to flee Tripoli as a result of the ongoing fighting.

Zintan military moving to Tripoli

The launch of the second phase of the battle for Tripoli, has been reported by the local portal Al-Wasat.

The spokesman for the General Command, Major General Ahmad Al-Mismari, announced that “the commander of the western military zone, Major General Idris Madi, is heading a large force from the city of Zintan under the Tripoli liberation operations room and has received his combat mission.”

At the moment the Libyan National Army has begun to form additional combat units. This happened after fixing on the western theater of operations, according to the representative of the armed association Ahmed al-Mismari,

He also added that that  the LNA Air Force did not perform any flights on April 22. According to al-Mismari, the forces of the Libyan army were seen above the LNA airbase.

Earlier it became known that the capital of Libya was subjected to rocket fire. According to a number of media outlets, the strikes were inflicted by the forces under the leadership of Khalifa Haftar, however, LNA representatives denied this information.

 

 

Battle for Tripoli ongoing

The fighting intensified on April 20 at the gates of Tripoli (pictured) after the forces loyal to the National Unity Government (GNA) announced an “attack phase” against Marshal Khalifa Haftar‘s troops set to liberate the Libyan capital from terrorist groups.

The troops of the Libyan National Army (ANL) of Marshal Haftar, the strongman of the east of the country, launched on April 4 a counter-terrorist operation to defeat terrorist groups, ravaging the west of the country.

 

 

 

« Older Entries