Chinagodrar: 89 military perished in Niger

The death toll from the January 9 attack on Niger army base next to Chinagodrar city has risen to at least 89, four security sources said, surpassing a raid last month in Inates that killed 71 soldiers as the deadliest against Nigerien forces in years.

Commenting on the recent attack the government officials informed that 25 soldiers had been killed, according to a provisional toll, while the troops have been successfully repelling the attack by assailants close to Chinagodrar.

Later four different security sources told Reuters news agency that at least 89 members of Niger’s security forces perished in the attack were buried on January 11 in the capital, Niamey.

One source said the actual death toll was most likely higher because some soldiers were buried immediately in Chinagodrar.

Defense Minister Issoufou Kara be said that an updated death toll would be announced after a national security council meeting on Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s