Category Archives: NEWS

Red Cross leaves Tripoli

Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross () in Libya left Tripoli, according to their own statement on the Twitter micro blog page.

According to  the Red Cross assessment around 30 000 inhabitants has to flee Tripoli as a result of the ongoing fighting.

Zintan military moving to Tripoli

The launch of the second phase of the battle for Tripoli, has been reported by the local portal Al-Wasat.

The spokesman for the General Command, Major General Ahmad Al-Mismari, announced that “the commander of the western military zone, Major General Idris Madi, is heading a large force from the city of Zintan under the Tripoli liberation operations room and has received his combat mission.”

At the moment the Libyan National Army has begun to form additional combat units. This happened after fixing on the western theater of operations, according to the representative of the armed association Ahmed al-Mismari,

He also added that that  the LNA Air Force did not perform any flights on April 22. According to al-Mismari, the forces of the Libyan army were seen above the LNA airbase.

Earlier it became known that the capital of Libya was subjected to rocket fire. According to a number of media outlets, the strikes were inflicted by the forces under the leadership of Khalifa Haftar, however, LNA representatives denied this information.

 

 

UK aid worker killed in Nigeria

A British woman and a Nigerian man were shot dead, and three others were abducted by kidnappers.

Police and the British High Commission have named the woman as Faye Mooney (29), and said they were aware of an incident which took place at a holiday resort on April 19, but would not speculate on a motive.

Late Ms.Mooney was working in Nigeria as a communications specialist for aid group Mercy Corps and was one of 12 tourists travelling to the northern city of Kaduna from Lagos, police said. She worked in the country for nearly two years, had been attending a party before the incident, police added.

AMENDED:

I want the government and people of the United Kingdom to know that these atrocious actions do not reflect Nigeria’s national character” former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar said.

“I condemn the killing of British aid worker, Faye Mooney, and her Nigerian partner, Mathew Oguche two days ago in Kaduna State. Several other Nigerians were kidnapped during the episode”.

These killings must end or Nigeria will lose desperately needed friends, partners and investors”  the politician warned.

 

Tajani stands for Marshall Plan for Africa

Concluding his two and a half year term, the President of the European Parliament Antonio Tajani reiterates his proposal of the Marshal Plan for Africa. The European Union  should work with African partners to address the root causes of migration flows, Tajani insists.

The president repeatedly proposed a “true Marshall Plan” to become a part of the next EU budget in order to attract investment, infrastructure and to develop an industrial base while creating hope and prospects for the next generations.

Through his mandate president Tajani has promoted Marshall Plan for Africa from different fora, requesting to create EUR50 billion fund to invest massively in infrastructure, and develop industrial base.

Sub-Saharan Africa remains a region of stark political and socio-economic contradictions and multiple longstanding challenges. While a large number of countries de jure have adopted democratic principles of governance, the overwhelming majority of states de facto are governed by authoritarian and semi-authoritarian leaders. Autocratic regimes, civil strife, weak institutions and fragile political systems continue to undermine anti-corruption efforts.

Battle for Tripoli ongoing

The fighting intensified on April 20 at the gates of Tripoli (pictured) after the forces loyal to the National Unity Government (GNA) announced an “attack phase” against Marshal Khalifa Haftar‘s troops set to liberate the Libyan capital from terrorist groups.

The troops of the Libyan National Army (ANL) of Marshal Haftar, the strongman of the east of the country, launched on April 4 a counter-terrorist operation to defeat terrorist groups, ravaging the west of the country.

 

 

 

Franco-Italian alliance for cease-fire in Libya

Italy and France have intensified efforts to end conflict in Libya, Foreign Minister Enzo Moavero Milanesi said after meeting his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian in Rome on April 19.

Naturally we talked about the situation in Libya, which is worrying and holds the attention of both our governments,” Moavero explained at  a joint press conference with Le Drian. Our position, an absolutely joint one, is that a ceasefire must be achieved as soon as possible”.

Le Drian underlined that cease-fire and return to negociations are paramount.

Sudan activists to impose civilian power

Sudanese Professionals Association, which has been enhancing protests, announced  news conference at 1700 GMT on April 21 outside the army complex, inviting foreign diplomats. The Association promises to propose their own civilian council to facilitate transition of power from military.

In a statement the protest leaders declared their plans to form a civilian body to take over from Sudan’s ruling military council while crowds of demonstrators kept up the pressure outside army headquarters.

The military council  has declined to respond to the protesters demands to ensure swift transition of power for a civilian administration, initially proposing two year period to pave the way to civilian rule.

Activists continue to mobilise demonstrators through social media to keep up the pressure for replacing the military council by civilians. General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan chairing the Council has not responded to the claims of the Sudanese, who continued to chant slogan “Power to civilians” through the night.

« Older Entries