Brussels 07.08.2021 “The European Union welcomes the successful conduct of the second round of the presidential elections held in São Tomé and Principe and wishes to congratulate the President-elect, Mr. Carlos Vila Nova. We will continue with him and his government the excellent bilateral cooperation started with his predecessors for the benefit of relations between the EU and São Tomé and Príncipe and our peoples”.
“The electoral observation mission led by the African Union and the Economic Community of Central African States noted the peaceful and calm climate in which the ballot took place, despite the postponement and latent tensions following the results of the first tower. We welcome this free and competitive electoral process which demonstrates the solidity of the democratic institutions and processes of the Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe”.
Brussels 08.09.2021 EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrell arrived to Libya today, 8 September. This mission comes at an important juncture for the country, with presidential and parliamentary elections in December.
Today, High Representative Borrell will hold a bilateral meeting in Tripoli with Libyan Minister for Foreign Affairs Najla El Mangoush, after which they will both hold a joint press point at 13:00 CET. Audiovisual coverage will be provided by Europe by Satellite (EbS). The High Representative’s remarks will be available in writing on the EEAS website. In the afternoon, Josep Borrell will also meet with United Nations Special Envoy Ján Kubiš, as well as with President of the Presidential Council Mohammed Mnefi and Vice-President Moussa Al Koun
Brussels 06.09.2021 Colonel Mamady Doumbouya is regarded as the new leader in charge of Guinea after he headed a unit of elite soldiers seizing power on Sunday, September 5.
Announcing the military takeover, the 41-year-old former French legionary said the army had little choice because of the rampant corruption, disregard for human rights and economic mismanagement under President Alpha Condé.
“The president is with us, he’s in a safe place,” Colonel told French media on Sunday after the coup.
Dressed in a red beret, sunglasses and army fatigues, Colonel Mamady Doumbouya had announced earlier on Guinea’s state TV that “the Guinean personalisation of political life is over. We will no longer entrust politics to one man, we will entrust it to the people”.
Alpha Condé remains in detention while the UN, African Union and regional body ECOWAS all condemn the military junta ascending power in a coup d’état.
After meeting ministers from Alpha Condé’s government on Monday, the Colonel announced a new “union” government would be formed within coming weeks and promised there would be no “witch-hunt” against former officials.
“I condemn the seizure of power by force in # Guinea and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Condé” the European Union top diplomat Josep Borrell wrote on his Twitter micro blog.
“I invite all actors to act with respect for the rule of law, the interests of peace and for the well-being of the Guinean population”.
Brussels 27.08.2021 The first group of 51 refugees from Afghanistan has arrived in Uganda.The group landed at Entebbe International Airport aboard a private chartered flight on Wednesday morning, August 25, Uganda’s foreign ministry said in a statement.
The ministry says the group is transiting through Uganda and will move on to the US and other countries.
It is not clear for how long they will be hosted in Uganda.
The evacuees include men, women and children who have undergone Covid-19 testing and will go into quarantine, the statement says.The evacuation followed the US government’s request to Uganda to take in some of the people fleeing the crisis in Afghanistan since the Taliban takeover.
Last week, a Ugandan junior government official said that Uganda was to take in 2,000 Afghan refugees at the request of the US government, but several senior officials later indicated that the discussions on the issue were still under way.
Uganda hosts more than one million refugees who have fled several conflicts and other disasters across eastern Africa.
Brussels 16.08.2021 The European Union welcomes the announcement of results by the Electoral Commission of Zambia and congratulates President-elect Hakainde Hichilema.
We look forward to working with the new President and his government, as well as with the newly elected members of the National Assembly, to strengthen our long and productive partnership with Zambia.
As a longstanding supporter of Zambia’s democratic process, the European Union commends voters who clearly demonstrated their commitment to democracy, participating in large numbers despite the challenging context of the COVID-19 pandemic. The example set by those candidates who made timely statements of concession is also very welcome.
The EU Election Observation Mission’s preliminary assessment found that, despite a number of shortcomings during the campaign, the election day itself was largely calm and the electoral process was technically well managed. The EU Electoral Observation Mission remains in the country completing its work and finalising recommendations, on which we look forward to working closely with Zambian stakeholders.
Brussels 02.08.2021 Brussels 02.08.2021 On 31 July 2021, the President of the Republic, Mr Emmanuel Macron, spoke with the Prime Minister of Sudan, Mr Abdalla Hamdok, and then with the Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Mr Abiy Ahmed. These conversations were an opportunity to highlight France’s concern about the increasing fighting in the north of Ethiopia and the evolution of the humanitarian situation in Tigray.
The President said that the very serious humanitarian situation and the need to deliver assistance to the people of Tigray required strong measures, including the lifting of all restrictions on delivery of aid. In this context, France supports the efforts of the chief of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Mr Griffiths, who is currently in Ethiopia.
The President also indicated that the development of the situation required the negotiation of a break in hostilities and the opening of political dialogue between the belligerents, with respect for the integrity and unity of Ethiopia.
France and its partners are ready to support Ethiopia accordingly.
Brussels 30.07.2021 “Trucks carrying food supplies that could save countless lives in Tigray are being prevented from moving, apparently deliberately. Increasingly hard to avoid conclusion that access to food is used as weapon of war. It is the Ethiopian Government’s responsibility to provide access” the EU top diplomat Josep Borrell wrote on his Twitter micro blog.
United Nations Security Council resolution 2417 of May 2018 reaffirms that “using starvation of civilians as a method of warfare may constitute a war crime.”
The conflict in Ethiopia Tigray region has forced more than two million to flee their homes and left millions without resources, dependent on food aid. Deepening the crisis, Ethiopia’s government has repeatedly cut basic services to the Tigray region, including vital electricity supply and communications. These actions, together with the killing, pillaging, and rape, committed by all parties, has created a profound humanitarian crisis.
More than 100,000 children in Tigray are at risk and could suffer from life-threatening severe acute malnutrition in the next 12 months, a 10-fold jump over average annual levels, the U.N. Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Friday, July 30.
29.07.2021 The National Transitional Council (CNT) will meet on Friday, July 30, 2021 in an extraordinary session in Bamako, Mali capital. Although this special session does not appear in the work calendar of the parliamentary body of the Transition, the President of the Transition took the initiative in the face of the urgency of the moment.
Such a request also responds to the promise of its Prime Minister, Choguel K. Maïga, to present his Government Action Plan in six weeks.
“We have proven that when there is the political will, the determination and especially when you know where you are going, and why you are here, nothing is impossible,” said the latter.
Indeed, it was the holder of the Executive, Colonel Assimi Goïta, who called, through a note, the session with a very specific agenda. This is called the “Government Action Plan Review” (PAG).
On Thursday, July 22, this Government Action Plan covering the period of the nine months remaining before the end of the Transition was presented by the Prime Minister during an extraordinary Council of Ministers. According to the press release issued by the said Council of Ministers, it is designed around 4 axes following the missions assigned to the Transition by its president. Thus, in axis 1, it is a question of “strengthening security throughout the national territory”, then the adoption of “political and institutional reforms”, of the Organisation of general elections, in axis 3 , and finally, the “Promotion of good governance and the adoption of a social stability pact”.
Brussels 13.07.2021 In South Africa’s most populous province of Gauteng, which includes the largest city, Johannesburg, at least six people had died, officials announced early on Tuesday, July 13. Another 10 bodies were discovered in the aftermath of the looting spree in the Johannesburg township of Soweto.
The deployment of 2,500 soldiers to support the South African police hadn’t stopped the rampant looting on Tuesday, July 13, although a number of arrests were being made at some areas in Johannesburg.
What had been sporadic pro-Zuma violence degraded into the epic mass looting of the malls and warehouses.
So far the mayhem had not spread to South Africa’s other nine provinces.
The Constitutional Court, the country’s highest court, heard Zuma’s application to have his sentence rescinded on Monday. Zuma’s lawyer presented his arguments that the top court made errors when sentencing Zuma to prison. After 10 hours of testimony on Monday, the court judges said they would study the arguments and announce their decision at a later date.
Police Minister Bheki Cele told journalists on Tuesday that, if the looting continued, there was a risk areas could run out of basic food supplies.
However, Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said there was not yet a need to declare a state of emergency over the violence.
KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala said some 26 people had been killed in the province so far. In Gauteng the death toll is 19, including the 10 who died at the mall in Soweto.
Brussels 13.07.2021 Protesters clashed with security forces in several areas of South Africa and looters ransacked shopping malls on Tuesday, July 30, as frustrations over poverty and inequality boiled over in to the country’s worst unrest in years, with the death toll rising to more than 30. (Image above: social networks).
The national defence force is set to quell “free Zuma” protests, after violence and looting in response to the former president’s arrest spread from KwaZulu-Natal to Gauteng and Mpumalanga.
Many of the deaths occurred in chaotic stampedes as scores of people looted food, electrical appliances, liquor and clothing from retail centres.
Yesterday’s events brought a lot of sadness. The number of people who have died in KwaZulu-Natal alone stands at 26. Many of them died from being trampled on during a stampede while people were looting items,” said Zikalala.
The bodies of 10 people were found on Monday evening after a stampede at a Soweto shopping mall as looting continued in Gauteng province, premier David Makhura said on Tuesday, July 13.
Security officials said the government was working to ensure the violence and looting did not spread further, but they stopped short of declaring a state of emergency.
“No amount of unhappiness or personal circumstances from our people gives the right to anyone to loot, vandalise and do as they please and break the law,” Police Minister Bheki Cele told a news conference.