One policeman and three protesters were killed in Sudan Khartoum and many other demonstrators were wounded, state TV said.
The Transitional Military Council (TMC), which took over after the army overthrew President Omar al-Bashir in April blamed the violence on saboteurs who demonstrated discontent with the transition deal.
After the incidents Sudan’s ruling military council warned that it would not allow “chaos”. Four people were killed in violence that broke out over an agreement on a political transition reached by the generals and protest groups.
Sudanese state News agency SUNA informed the President of the Republic, Marshal Omar al-Bashir in his capacity of the Supreme commander presided over the meeting of the Defence and National Security Council. The Council stressed the importance of gathering the national class and achieving peace and the need to invoke the “voice of reason” to spare the country from “slipping into sedition“.
The news agency also quoted police spokesman General Hashim Abdel-Rahim as saying that one person was killed during “disturbances” in Omdurman.
Officials say 31 people have died in protest-related violence so far, but according to Human Right Watch sources indicate that the death toll is much higher, reaching 51 victims, including children and medics.
SUNA news also reported that civilians and policemen were injured in the demonstrations, citing police reports as thousands of protesters clashed with security forces near the President’s residence.
Central African Republic concluded a peace deal with 14 armed groups on following two weeks of talks in Khartoum, Sudan.
The peace deal was announced by the African Union but the terms were not immediately released.
Central African Republic has been tormented by violence since 2013 when Selaka rebels ousted President Francois Bozize, stirring conflict between Muslim and Christian militias. United Nations peacekeepers were deployed in 2014, however their numbers were not sufficient to end the ongoing violence.
President Omar al-Bashir said that the initiators of mass unrest swept Sudan in the past few weeks, receive financial support from abroad. He said this on January 3 in Khartoum during a speech on the occasion of the 63rd anniversary of the independence of the east African state.
According to al-Bashir, the organizers of anti-government demonstrations “receive funding from abroad, and the guide to action is from the embassies of some foreign countries represented in Khartoum,” reported Al-Mayadin TV channel.
“But the Sudanese will not sell their independence for dollars,” the Sudanese leader underlined.
“Our country has been in a state of economic war for 21 years already, since the introduction of international sanctions against it,” said Al-Bashir, commenting on the difficult economic situation in Sudan. However, a way out of the crisis, he said, must be resolved within the country.
“Overcoming it will not work in one day or one night, but we know how to find a way out of the current difficult situation,” al-Bashir explained and promised “at the end of the month to start implementing the program to raise salaries in the country to the required level and support most vulnerable people. “
Demonstrations demanding President Omar al-Bashir to resign erupted in city of Port Sudan (pictured), where protesters condemned alleged repression by the government and deteriorating economic conditions, Turkish News Agency Anadolu reports.
Security forces dispersed hundreds of demonstrators with teargas, eyewitnesses told Anadolu Agency.
In December, the port city saw similar protests that were also dispersed by security forces.
Protests began in Sudan on December 19 in 14 of the country’s 18 states, including capital Khartoum.
The city has handles the majority of Sudan international trade, and has an oil refinery.
Authorities are blocking access to Sudanese popular social media platforms used to organize and broadcast nationwide anti-government protests triggered by an economic crisis, internet users complain.
In a country where the state tightly controls conventional media, the internet has become a key information battleground. Of Sudan’s 40 million people, some 13 million use the internet and more than 28 million own mobile phones, local media reports.
Sudan largest opposition bloc along with the whole spectrum political groups for President Omar al-Bashir to resign, turning up the pressure on the longtime autocrat after two weeks of street protests.
Nidaa al-Sudan said in a statement that it urges Omar al-Bashir and his administration to step down to open a transition toward democracy.
Nidaa al-Sudan comprises the Umma party of former Prime Minister Sadeq al-Mahdi and rebel groups in the western Kordofan and Darfur regions, and the Blue Nile region south of Khartoum.
However the calls for resignation were met by fierce oppression demonstrators, although operating in restricted conditions, the reporters inform about use of firearms and numerous victims among unarmed civilians.
Taken into consideration severe constraints on reporting from Sudan because of Internet shutdown, silencing of social, media, and control of telephone services, reporters, and human rights defenders can only approximately estimate the number killed by the regime including while in custody. The toll is rising above hundred victims.