The Joseph Kabila government confirmed they are well aware, that the Catholic church had identified Mr. Fayulu as the winner. Kikaya Bin Karubi, a diplomatic adviser to the President Kabila, said in an interview on Friday that the governing coalition party was “aware” that the church had “chosen to publish the winning candidate as Martin Fayulu.”
Barnabe Kikaya bin Karubi, a senior adviser to President Kabila, has already said internet and SMS services were cut to preserve public order after “fictitious results” began circulating on social media.
Donatien Nshole the secretary-general of the church’s bishops’ conference, known as Cenco, said its vote tallies showed a clear victor in election. “The announcement of voting trends by Priest Nshole is likely to brainwash the population while preparing an insurrection that Cenco alone will be responsible for” wrote in a letter to the priest the president of the election commission.
It was at the request of the bishops that the meeting took place this afternoon at the Palais de la Nation, seat of the presidency, in the commune of Gombe in Kinshasa. Representatives of the Catholic Church have warned the Congolese head of state against any attempt at a constitutional coup d’etat, vairous media claims, however, the meeting took place behind closed doors, and there is no record of the conversation released.
The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) the searches for the credibility of last weekend’s chaotic presidential election and to justify its decision to cut off Internet access to 80 million citizens in the aftermath.
The delayed election were finally organised to lead to Congo’s first democratic transfer of power, but the vote was marred by logistical problems and accusations from the opposition of fraud.
Initially the electoral commission had been scheduled to publish provisional results on Sunday but soon it changed their positions, and explained that could not be delayed because counting centers are still waiting for more than 80% of local vote tallies.
The opposition says the delay is a sign of fraud behind the scenes. However the regional observers insist the vote went well if taking into consideration the organisational challenges. Domestic monitors, however, have raised concerns about potential irregularities.
The Congo population represents more than 200 tribes. The four largest tribes in the Congo are the Mongo, Luba, Kongo, and Mangbetu-Azonde. Approximately 700 local languages and dialects are spoken on its vast territory. The majority of Congolese speak one of the following languages: Kikongo, Lingala, Tshiluba, Swahili, and French.
According to WorldoMeters the population of the Congo is as follows:
- The current population of the DR Congo is 85,377,780 as of Friday, January 4, 2019, based on the latest United Nations estimates.
- The DR Congo population is equivalent to 1.12% of the total world population.
- The DR Congo ranks number 16 in the list of countries (and dependencies) by population.
- The population density in the DR Congo is 38 per Km2 (99 people per mi2).
- The total land area is 2,267,050 Km2 (875,313 sq. miles)
- 40.7 % of the population is urban (35,305,105 people in 2019)
- The median age in the DR Congo is 16.8 years.
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) government shut down the internet connections and SMS services across the country for a second day while the citizens are waiting for the results of the presidential elections.
The government insists the measure in necessary to avoid “popular uprising“, contesting the results to be declared. The opposition accused government in an attempt to silence the descent.
Polling stations opened in Democratic Republic of Congo on Sunday, December 30, for a presidential election that is meant to lead to the country’s first democratic transfer of power.
Due to the time difference, voting started an hour earlier in eastern parts of the country. The last polls are scheduled to close at 1700 (1600 GMT), although voting will continue for those still in line.
President Joseph Kabila, ruling since his father’s assassination in 2001, is due to step down after the vote in a milestone change for a country suffering from authoritarian rule, coups and civil wars since independence from Belgium in 1960.
Kabila’s agreement to respect the constitutional term limits should represent progress for Congo and the continent.
Critics say the vote will be plagued by fraud, and that Kabila could continue to rule via his close allies. Formally he can also come back again for presidency in 2023.
There are reports of high turnout of the electorate in different places.
The citizens of areas excluded for Ebols risks decided to organise their own plebiscite, in spite of exclusion.
The European Union has condemned the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo decision to expel its ambassador ahead of the presidential elections on December, 30.
The order for Bart Ouvry to leave within 48 hours was “completely unjustified”, an EU spokesperson said.
Democratic Republic of Congo’s government has ordered the European Union ambassador to leave the country within 48 hours, after the EU prolonged sanctions against the ruling party’s presidential candidate ahead of December 30th election.
Reportedly the foreign minister’s order, calls the ambassador’s comportment “reprehensible” and comes after weeks of pressure by Congo’s government to have the EU sanctions lifted on Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary.
DRC President Joseph Kabila, ending months of speculation in August, has chosen former interior minister Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary to be his successor in upcoming elections, the government said.
Bart Ouvry (Belgium) studied history and communication sciences. Is a Belgian Diplomat since 1986. Held successively diplomatic postings in Kuwait, in Brussels at the cabinet of the Minister for Foreign Trade, in Vienna to the IAEA, in Brussels at the Permanent Representation to the European Union and later in the Belgian European Coordination service, at the Belgian Embassy in Paris, as a Consul General and Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva.
The EU Ambassador Bart Ouvry posted his best wishes for everyone for Christmas.
Till present there is no comment from the European External Actions Service.
The presidential election in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) scheduled on December 23 has been cancelled and will now be held a week later on December 30.
There is an growing skepticism about the transparency of the upcoming elections in Democratic Republic of Congo.
A delay announced by a week explained by the shortage of ballots paper, caused by fire. However the election had been delayed by more than two years, until recent promise to organise it on Sunday, when suddenly the ballots problem occurred.
Around 40 millions of Congolese registered are waiting for an opportunity to cast a ballot.
“The presidential, legislative and provincial elections will, therefore, take place on December 30, 2018,” head of the Independent National Election Commission (CENI), Corneille Nangaa, said.
AMENDMENT: according to the other source, the delay is caused by the destruction of ballots machines. The Ebola outbreak is also named among possible reasons for last minute change of schedule.
“While the electoral process in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) begins a decisive step with the finalization of the candidatures for the presidential and legislative elections, the events of the last days testify to the need to ensure a peaceful and unhindered environment.Thus, the European Union fully supports the call of the President of the African Union Commission for the respect of the rights and freedoms of all Congolese, indispensable for the holding of a peaceful, transparent and truly inclusive election” -says the statement of the European External Action Service (EEAS) on electoral process in DRC.
“It recalls the importance of the commitment of all parties to respect the New Year’s Political Agreement, including the measures of relaxation, to ensure a fair and credible electoral competition.The European Union will continue to monitor the situation carefully and in close consultation with its partners, primarily the African Union and the United Nations.”
Democratic Republic of Congo: government must hold elections on 23 December 2018
The European Parliament regrets that the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) did not hold elections by the 2017 deadline and calls on its President Joseph Kabila, and his government to guarantee to hold presidential and legislative elections on 23 December 2018. They add that any EU contribution to the electoral process should be conditional on concrete government measures that demonstrate the political will to hold the elections in December 2018, including the publication of a realistic electoral budget.
MEPs ask Congolese authorities to release all prisoners of conscience and to conduct an independent investigation into the violent repression of the demonstrations of December 2017. The European Parliament also urges the International Criminal Court and the UN to investigate the claims put forward by the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), which says Congolese security forces and government-backed militias are perpetrating crimes against humanity in Kasai province, where 40 mass grave sites have been discovered. To combat the escalating cholera epidemic in the DRC, MEPs ask the EU and its member states to increase financial and humanitarian aid through reliable organisations.
The violence perpetrated on 31 December 2017 at New Year’s Eve in the Democratic Republic of Congo, resulted in deaths of a several demonstrators and left many wounded. Security forces killed at least seven people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) during protests against President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down from office, United Nations peacekeepers said.
“The use of violence by the Congolese authorities, including the interruption of religious services, aimed at suppressing any attempt at peaceful protest is contrary to the Congolese Constitution, which guarantees the right of demonstration and freedom of assembly” – says the statement of the European External Action Service (EEAS).
“Blocking media and social networks is also a serious violation of freedom of expression” – the EEAS statement continues.
“The EU extends its condolences to the families of the victims. It supports the call by MONUSCO / UNJHRO to condemn arbitrary arrests and calls for the immediate release of detainees, including some religious.”
“The Congolese authorities have a duty to protect their citizens and not to repress them. They must redouble their efforts to fully implement the relaxation of the New Year’s Eve Agreement, thus making progress towards credible elections in 2018. The EU will continue to monitor the situation closely.”
Reportedly security forces killed at least seven people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on Sunday during protests against President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down from office, United Nations peacekeepers said.
A police spokesman confirmed three people had been killed in altercations with security forces in Kinshasa, and that two of the deaths were investigated.
Catholic activists had called for protests in the capital after Sunday worship, one year after Kabila committed to holding an election to choose his successor by the end of 2017 – an election that has now been delayed for one year until December 2018.
The break of the promise, reflected in a delay has caused suspicions that Kabila will attempt to change constitution to justify his longer stay in a similar way to presidents in neighboring countries. The perspective has raised fears of turmoil or even of civil war.
Florence Marchal, spokeswoman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo, said security forces had shot dead at least seven people in Kinshasa. Another person was killed in a protest in the central city of Kananga, she said, although the cause of death was not yet clear.
U.N. observers documented at least 123 arrests across the country and a number of serious injuries so far.