EU regrets Schengen House in Kinshasa closure

On January 24th, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration of the Democratic Republic of Congo informed by note verbale addressed to the Embassy of the Kingdom of Belgium, about the decision of the Congolese government to close the Schengen House in Kinshasa. In the current uncertainty following this announcement and the various contacts…

MEPs call Kabila to hold elections in 2018

Democratic Republic of Congo: government must hold elections on 23 December 2018 The European Parliament regrets that the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) did not hold elections by the 2017 deadline and calls on its President Joseph Kabila, and his government to guarantee to hold presidential and legislative elections on 23 December 2018. They…

Europe reminds Congo about Consitution

The violence perpetrated on 31 December 2017 at New Year’s Eve in the Democratic Republic of Congo, resulted in deaths of a several demonstrators and left many wounded.  Security forces killed at least seven people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) during protests against President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down from office, United…

Congo in whirlwind of protests

Reportedly security forces killed at least seven people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on Sunday during protests against President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down from office, United Nations peacekeepers said. “One of those killed was a girl, 16, shot by security forces in the Matete,” #Kinshasa.– @luchaRDC to @nytimesNonviolent protestors met with…

DRC: Worst attack on peacekeepers

The attack on the United Nations peacekeepers has left 14 killed and more than 40 wounded  in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, U.N. officials said on Friday, speaking on the condition of anonymity. A UN official earlier on Friday had acknowledged that a “large number” of U.N. peacekeepers were killed or wounded in the attack…

Rangers killed in Congo wildlife reserve

Five park rangers were killed in a joint operation with the army to rescue an American journalist and three park rangers, who went missing in a wildlife reserve in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a local official said. Unidentified gunmen attacked the group late on the 14th of July in Okapi Wildlife Reserve in Mambasa…

Les violations graves des droits de l’homme dans le Kasai 

Federica Mogherini, Haute représentante de l’Union européenne pour les affaires étrangères et la politique de sécurité et Vice-présidente de la Commission européenne, a rencontré cet après-midi Léonard She Okitundu, Vice-premier ministre et Ministre des Affaires étrangères de la République Démocratique du Congo, afin de discuter de la situation dans le pays et des relations avec…

EU measures against Congo officials

The Council has adopted restrictive measures against 9 individuals who hold positions of responsibility in the State administration and in the chain of command of the security forces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), with immediate effect. They join the 7 people on whom the EU imposed sanctions as of 12 December 2016 in…

Congolese refugees stream to Angola

  Govenor Ernesto Muangala said the officials had counted more than 20,000 refugees in his Lunda Norte province, almost double the number recorded a month ago. All had fled clashes between Congolese government and militia forces that erupted in Congo’s Kasai-Central province in July, then spread to four other provinces. Violence drives over 11,000 Congolese…

Kabila blamed violaitons of agreement

Democratic Republic of Congo President Joseph Kabila on named a new transitional government, state television reported, defying opponents who rejected the cabinet, saying it violated a previous agreement. President Kabila names new DR Congo government despite agreement for elections https://t.co/wg8YmCdlDy pic.twitter.com/6FiQyJd24Z — DW News (@dwnews) May 9, 2017 Kabila, in power since 2001, struck a…