MEPs criticise Nigeria and Burundi

16.01.2020 Strasbourg The European Parliament adopted two resolutions on monitoring respect to the human rights and rule of law situation in Nigeria and Burundi. Press releaseHuman rights breaches in Nigeria and Burundi: https://t.co/BBD4y9Gwhg — EP PressService (@EuroParlPress) January 16, 2020 Nigeria Following the recent terrorist attacks in the country, the European Parliament strongly condemns the…

EU aid to Africa hunger emergency

The European Commission is mobilising a humanitarian aid package of €22.8 million to help address emergency food needs and support vulnerable people in Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The funding comes as large parts of southern Africa are currently in the grip of their harshest drought in decades. Many poor households in drought-affected areas…

Libya: Berlin conference impasse

Khalifa Haftar, Commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA), and head of the Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez al-Sarraj have been invited to attend the Berlin conference on Libya set to take place on January 19, German Government spokesperson announced. “Both have been invited,” she said. “I cannot say anything for sure regarding their…

Barkhane: France sends 220 troops

Faced with a persistent jihadist threat, the leaders of the G5 Sahel countries and France announced the establishment of a new operational framework with redefined priorities and concentrated action on the so-called “three borders” area between Mali , Niger and Burkina Faso. J’ai dĂ©cidĂ© d’engager des capacitĂ©s de combat supplĂ©mentaires au Sahel. Pour amorcer cette…

Moscow hosts Libya talks

Negotiations between the parties to the conflict in Libya, held in Moscow, Russia. ended without signing a ceasefire agreement, told RIA Novosti adviser to the head of the Libyan parliament, Hamid al-Safi. Libyan delegates arrive in Moscow for talks, diplomat sayshttps://t.co/En9SHBWGTX pic.twitter.com/BpxOk57UJ7 — TASS (@tassagency_en) January 13, 2020 Negotiations between the heads of the Foreign…

Sassoli welcomes Libya truce

“I welcome the announcement of a ceasefire in Libya between Prime Minister Fayez Mustafa al-Sarraj and General Khalifa Haftar. The halt to the armed conflict is the first fundamental step in the right direction” reads the statement of the presdient of the European Parliament David Sassoli (pictured). We welcome the announcement of a ceasefire in…

Michel discusses Libya with Al-Sisi

Charles Michel, President of the European Council met with Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, President of Egypt, in Cairo. Meeting with the Egyptian president @AlsisiOfficial in Cairo today. The situation in #Libya was at the core of our discussion. The Berlin process is the only way forward. Dialogue and negotiations are needed more than ever. pic.twitter.com/TYB2uc2Y3W —…

Chinagodrar: 89 military perished in Niger

The death toll from the January 9 attack on Niger army base next to Chinagodrar city has risen to at least 89, four security sources said, surpassing a raid last month in Inates that killed 71 soldiers as the deadliest against Nigerien forces in years. UPDATE 1-Niger army base attack death toll rises to at…

Tripoli: Al-Sarraj accepts ceasefire

Tripoli-based administration of Government of National Accord (GNA) led by Fayez al-Sarraj has also declared ceasefire as part of an initiative proposed by Russia and Turkey, reads the statement posted on its Facebook page. “In response to a call of Turkish and Russian Presidents Tayyip Erdogan and Vladimir Putin, the head of the presidential council…

Haftar announces ceasefire

The army of Libyan Marshall Khalifa Haftar announced a ceasefire from midnight January 12 (2200 GMT) following calls from Moscow and Ankara for a truce. Haftar’s forces declare ceasefire in western Libya:https://t.co/qnLplp9wWl pic.twitter.com/MIwSAqdOJf — TASS (@tassagency_en) January 11, 2020 They warned, however, in a short statement that the “response will be severe in the event…