France hopes the United States will not diminish support for French military operations in West Africa, where jihadist groups affiliated with Islamic State and Al-Qaeda are increasing their activities. France urges U.S. to stay in fight against Islamists in Africa's Sahel https://t.co/gafnu6QPGw — Reuters Africa (@ReutersAfrica) January 28, 2020 Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian made…
Category: Terrorism
EU comitted to Sahel
The EU Foreign affairs Council exchanged views on the deteriorating security and humanitarian situation in Sahel and the role the EU can play as leading partner in the region. The debate has been centred on ways to increase the impact of the EU’s actions supporting security, stability and development. The EU top diplomat Josep Borrell…
Somalia: Turkish contractors killed
In Somalia at least three people were killed and 20 injured, including several Turkish nationals, when a suicide car bomb targeted a police convoy, escorting Turkish contractors Anadolu new agency reports. #Video | #Somalia: Suicide bombing kills 3, wounds over 20 https://t.co/O80H4BLrbu pic.twitter.com/a9aHds8YAZ — ANADOLU AGENCY (@anadoluagency) January 18, 2020 Speaking to Anadolu Agency over…
EU defence ministers to visit Sahel
The French Defence minister Florence Parly (pictured) expected to arrive to the Sahel on Sunday January 19 with her counterparts from Estonia, Sweden and Portugal, the countries ready to support Barkhane’s trooops in the fight against jihadist armed groups. “I am going to the Sahel on Sunday, I will be accompanied by the Swedish Minister…
Barkhane: France sends 220 troops
Faced with a persistent jihadist threat, the leaders of the G5 Sahel countries and France announced the establishment of a new operational framework with redefined priorities and concentrated action on the so-called “three borders” area between Mali , Niger and Burkina Faso. J’ai décidé d’engager des capacités de combat supplémentaires au Sahel. Pour amorcer cette…
Chinagodrar: 89 military perished in Niger
The death toll from the January 9 attack on Niger army base next to Chinagodrar city has risen to at least 89, four security sources said, surpassing a raid last month in Inates that killed 71 soldiers as the deadliest against Nigerien forces in years. UPDATE 1-Niger army base attack death toll rises to at…
Kenya: Al-Shabaab attacks U.S. base
In early monrning hours around 4 AM Al-Shabaab militants launched an attack on the Manda-Magogoni naval base in Lamu. Heavy exchange of fire is ongoing, Lamu County Commissioner Irungu Macharia confirms. (Image: sodial media). In a brief statement the US military command for Africa, AFRICOM, confirmed there had been an attack, but did not provide…
Turkey sends medics to Mogadishu
Military cargo plane from Turkey landed in Mogadishu on December 29 to evacuate people badly wounded in a truck bombing a day earlier that killed at least 90 people, including two Turkish nationals. The injured from a deadly explosion in Mogadishu are being taken to a Turkish Air Force aircraft for medical evacuation to Turkey….
Borrell expresses condolences to Somalians
“Today’s car bomb attack in Mogadishu has caused the lives of many and injured a lot people. We wish for a speedy recovery of those injured, and reaffirm our continued solidarity and support to the people of Somalia” the EU top diplomat Josep Borrell wrote in his Twitter micro blog. Today’s car bomb attack in…
Somali: hotel attack claims lives
A car bomb explosion shuttered Somali town of Galkayo in the Mudug region, claiming lives of at least seven civilians, and wounding dozens, local authorities confirmed. Al-Shabaab takes responsibility for a Galkayo car bomb attack, killing at least 7 people https://t.co/cLnnFnOqD9 — Somali Guardian (@SomaliGuardian) December 22, 2019 The official said the driver intended to…
