Tag Archives: Tripoli

Tripoli GNA obstructs Europarl debate

Anna van Densky from Brussels. As a result of the considerable diplomatic effort of the Government of National Accord (GNA, Tripoli) mission in Brussels, the public event with H.E.Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Libyan Interim government Abdulhadi Ibrahim Lahweej (pictured) posted by MEP Fulvio Martusciello (EPP, Italy), has been occluded. The Italian MEP initiate has been aimed at engaging in conversation with the Libyan top diplomat in search of avenues for peace in torn by conflict country, supporting efforts of establishing the meaningful dialog among rivals for political power.

However the GNA obstruction of the dialogue, reaching European Parliament premises in Brussels, opposing exchange of views between the MEP with the Minister, casts a long shadow on Tripoli administration, conforming the worst assessments of the experts, claiming the situation has degenerated. and the capital is overpowered by Muslim Brotherhood militia, imposing their ambition on Fayez Al-Sarraj, dabbed their “hostage“. The protracted devastating for the Libyans conflict serves primary the interests of the Muslim Brotherhood, considered by the Libyan parliament as terrorist group, and subsequently the major obstacle to reconciliation and peace. (Image below: sign against Muslim Brotherhood in streets of Tripoli).

Te rejection of the dialogue between rival Libyan political centre undermines the position of the EU, so far supporting Chairman Fayez Al Sarraj, howerver this support by no means is la carte blanche for Tripoli administration policies and actions. The blunt rejection of the attempts to establish a dialogue is seen by experts and the opponents of al-Sarraj as his ultimate submission to Muslim Brotherhood influences, which further degrade Libyan statehood, depriving it of avenues for restoration.

The de-constructive position of GNA is also raising questions of viability of future conference on Libya proposed by the German diplomacy. But not only, because peace in Libya is essential for stability and security in Maghreb and Sahel.

Since overthrowing of Gaddaif regime, the terrorist threat in Maghreb has risen 300 percent, with a dramatic impact on sub-Saharan Africa, namely Sahel, where the EU along with France and Germany supports G5 – five nations alliance, fighting terrorism. The future head of the European diplomacy Josep Borrell has been atmost clear when stating that peace in Libya is key element for security and stability of Europe.

The dictatorial impulses of Al-Sarraj administration, establishing their power through exclusion of the political opponents, and occluding debate, as it happened in case of MEP Martusciello initiative, serve as the convincing evidence of growing influence of Muslim Brotherhood in Tripoli. which further degrades Libyan statehood, depriving it of avenues for revival.

AMENDEMENT: image on display Minister Lahweej at European Parliament, Brussels, 15 October 2019, @AlexandreLouvet.

Libyan Coast Guard intercepts 493 migrants

 Libyan Coast Guard informed on September 19 that it had intercepted 493 migrants on six inflatable boats in six operations in a week in areas northeast and northwest of Tripoli. (Image: illustration)

The migrants, including 28 women and five children, are from sub-Saharan, Arab and Asian countries. They were all moved to detention centers run by the U.N.-backed Government of National Accord, Coast Guard spokesman Ayoub Qassem said.

A Sudanese man was shot and killed as he and other migrants returned to shore by the Libyan Coast Guard tried to resist being sent back to detention, the UN said.
The International Organization for Migration strongly condemned the incident and demanded that Libyan authorities investigate and bring those responsible to justice.

Libya: dozens killed in Murzuq airstrike

More than 30 individuals have been killed in an air strike on the southern Libyan oasis town of Murzuq in the historic region of Fezzan, populated mostly by Dawada people, but also by Tuareg. (Image above: illustration).

Eastern Libyan (historicaly region of Cirenaica) forces under the leadership  of Marshall Khalifa Haftar confirmed an assault on August 4, but denied any responsibility for the death of civilians.

Despite expected movement  for unity among the Tuareg and other southern Libyan minorities, at present the situation in Fezzan  stays fragile, and the future of the province remains obscure.

In reality Fezzan is unstable in absence of unity among Tuareg communities vis-à-vis the events in TripoliThe Tuareg are hugely disappointed with the results of the regime change, which did not fulfill any from the multiple promises made by the West.

Population of Fezzan is plagued by lack of basic healthcare, access to water, education and jobs – all resulting in low living standards, depression and crime. The infrastructures, including developed by state electric grids erected during Colonel Gaddafi rule, have dilapidated without maintenance, and are out of use, and there no opportunities to restore them until the conflict is ravaging Libya.
Many men left Fezzan to join different battling militant groups in search for earnings.

Both Fayez Al Sarraj in Tripoli, and Khalifa Haftar in Benghazi are struggling  for alliance with different tribes in Fezzan: Tuareg and Toubou (Teda and Dazagra). 

Like the supported by the West government of  Al-Sarraj, Haftar has equally alliances among Tuareg, multiplying promises.

For Europe significance of Fezzan has risen dramatically  after  Libyan state collapse, which left southern borders unattended, and opened a broad gate for illegal migration from from the Sahel to Mediterranean coast – the so called sub-Saharan migrant route.

AMENDED:

“Indiscriminate attacks on densely populated residential areas may amount to war crimes and must cease immediately. As High Representative / Vice-President Mogherini stated on behalf of the EU on 2 August, those committing war crimes and those breaching International Humanitarian Law must be brought to justice and held to account” the European External Action Service reacted on Murzuq attack on its official Twitter account.

EU reminds Libya humanitarian law obligation

An attack on a field hospital this weekend on the Airport Road cost the lives of four doctors and one paramedic and injured eight medical personnel. A school in Al-Alamain was also hit. Such civilian infrastructure is protected under international law. We remind all parties of their obligation to uphold international humanitarian law and we expect a thorough and independent investigation so that those responsible are held accountable” the European External Action Service spokesperson said.

The fighting in and around Tripoli has taken too many lives. The interest of the Libyan people must be put first by de-escalating the situation and resuming dialogue in order to identify a lasting political solution to the conflict as part of the UN-led process” the statement continues.

The field hospital located on the airport road was hit by an air raid,” said Tripoli health ministry spokesperson Lamine al-Hashemi.

“Five doctors were killed and seven other people, including rescuers wounded” in the attack that al-Hashemi accused of warplane of Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar.

EU calls for ceasefire in Libya

At least 44 people died and 130 injured as a result of an airstrike inflicted on a migrant detention center in the suburb of the Libyan capital Tripoli, according to Reuters news agency local sources.

Italian Prime minister Giuseppe Conte reiterated his call for cessation of hostilities.

“We have repeatedly called for a cessation of hostilities and the respect of international humanitarian law. The European Union joins the call for the UN to carry out an immediate investigation into who perpetrated this horrific attack. Those responsible should be held to account” says the text of the statement of the European External Actions Service

“This attack also shows up once again the need for a ceasefire in the Libyan conflict. The EU will continue to lend its fullest support to the UN and UNSG Special Representative Salamé to achieve a political settlement. All regional and international partners should equally lend their support to achieving peace.”

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 750 people have already died since the beginning of the clashes, and almost 4.4 thousand more were injured.

 

 

Tripoli battle victims toll rising

The UN has recorded close to 350 people killed, including 22 civilians, and over 1,650 wounded, including 74 civilians. human rights High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet informed, expressing serious concerns . The actual number of civilians killed or injured “is likely to be higher”, she added.

The Tripoli counter-terrorism operation led by the LNA became the biggest military confrontation in Libya since the 2011 assassination of Muammar Gaddafi, This week fighting have intensified again with both sides using heavy artillery.

Fighting broke out in Tripoli at the beginning of April, when Marshall Khalifa Haftar, Commander of the Libyan National Army, announced counter-terrorist operation, liberating Tripoli from militia, keeping the city hostage, also preventing diplomats and international community to return to the capital.  By the second week of the month, casualties were hundreds of killed and wounded, and thousands of displaced.

While regional and international players support the rival factions, the battle for Tripoli continues.

Red Cross leaves Tripoli

Delegation of the International Committee of the Red Cross () in Libya left Tripoli, according to their own statement on the Twitter micro blog page.

According to  the Red Cross assessment around 30 000 inhabitants has to flee Tripoli as a result of the ongoing fighting.

« Older Entries