The president of the European People’s Party (@EPP) Joseph Daul expressed his condolences after terrorist attack in Tunis: “Very saddened by the attack today in #Tunis. My thoughts are with the families of the victims. This tragedy is a painful reminder of the risks that police forces face in ensuring our safety”.
This week two suicide blasts have shocked the capital of Tunisia, killing at least one police officer and wounding several people.
The first explosion on June 27 involved a suicide bomber who targeted a police patrol on Tunis downtown in Charles de Gaulle Street, close to French embassy building.
One police officer was killed, and another was wounded, according to the interior ministry statement. Three civilians were injured, however there was no further detail on gravity of their wounds.
Body parts were seen on the road around the police car, an AFP news agency reported.
A second jihadist committed suicide attack shortly afterwards on a national guard base in the capital’s al-Qarjani district, the interior ministry said. Four security personnel were wounded in that attack.
The suicide bombers attacked the building Foreign ministry in Tripoli (Libya) on December 25, leaving three dead and nine wounded according to Health ministry sources.
The assailants are suspected to be Islamic State (Caliphate) militants. Three attackers opened fire, entered the building and blow themselves up.
There are reports of fire going on, and photos of a cloud of a dense smoke above the roof of the building. The emergency services and security are working at spot.
Suicide bombers have targeted a number of institutions as militant groups take advantage of the collapse of the Libyan state after the assassination of the countries leader Colonel Qaddafi of 20 October 2011. Since then Libya has been fragmented, victim to political rivalry, and is widely considered to be a failed state.
“The terror attack today against the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs further threatens the fragile security situation in Tripoli. We offer condolences to the families of the victims and wish a quick recovery for those injured” – said the External Action Service spokesperson statement published 5:30 pm – 25 Dec 2018.
“This and similar attacks against the sovereign institutions of Libya are unacceptable and those responsible must be held to account. The Libyan people have suffered too much violence already, they deserve to live in a peaceful, stable and secure country.
“We expect all legitimate Libyan stakeholders to rally towards this goal by putting the interest of the Libyan people first. We continue to support the efforts by the UN Special Representative to implement the re-calibrated UN Action Plan to move forward with the transition and to end the political crisis in Libya.”
The EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn condemned the terrorist attack in Tunis, committed by a woman (29) suicide bomber; who blew herself up near police vehicles in the center of the Tunisian capital, killing one policeman and injuring nine pedestrians.
The attack followed a chain of terrorist acts since June 2015, when 38 people were killed in a shooting rampage at the coastal resort of Sousse targeting tourists, while an attack the same year on the National Bardo Museum in Tunis left 22 people dead.
The terror attacks targeted Tunisia’s crucial tourism sector, which at times reached seven percent of gross domestic product.
The country has been under a state of emergency since November 2015, when an IS-claimed suicide bombing in Tunis killed 12 presidential guards.
The state of emergency was extended earlier this month until November 6, amid a tense political climate ahead of legislative and presidential elections planned for next year.