Ethiopia’s Parliament postponed a national census for a second time, indicating security concerns, but potentially undermining logistics for the first election of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, promoting ambitious reform programme. The census has been already postponed once from 2017.
Ethiopia is due to hold a national vote some time next year, and the census is a crucial step towards demarcating constituencies.The Members of the Parliament in both houses voted overwhelmingly to delay the census again by a year, due to an upsurge in ethnic conflicts that has forced 2.4 million Ethiopians to flee their homes, according to UN statistics.
The Ethiopian Government with partners’ aid is responding to the impact of inter-communal violence along the Oromia-Somali border since September 2017. The violent incidents continue to cause loss of life and livelihood, and further exacerbate the humanitarian situation in Ethiopia.
The current population of Ethiopia is 109,956,911 as on June 10, 2019, based on the latest United Nations estimates.
- Ethiopia population is equivalent to 1.43% of the total world population.
- Ethiopia ranks number 12 in the list of countries (and dependencies) by population.
- The population density in Ethiopia is 110 per Km2 (285 people per mi2).
- The total land area is 1,000,000 Km2 (386,102 sq. miles)
- 21.1 % of the population is urban (23,220,976 people in 2019)
- The median age in Ethiopia is 18.8 years.
NB! Facebook banned this publication as incompatible. with “community standards” because of the picture of an Ethiopian girl above.