Sudan’s chief prosecutor announced that ousted President Omar al-Bashir would be sent for trial soon on corruption charges related to his three decades in power.
Alwaleed Sayed Ahmed Mahmoud declared at news conference the trial referral would be made after a one-week period for objections expires, adding that criminal cases have been opened against 41 other former officials accused of graft.
Charged with corruption after an investigation was completed, as the prosecutor’s office underlined, Bashir, was ousted by the military in April this year following months of protests against his three decades autocratic rule.
Sudanese security forces stormed a protest camp in the capital Khartoum on June 3 in the morning hours and at least nine people were reported killed in the violence outbreak.
Al Hadath and Al Jazeera television showed footage of scenes of people fleeing violence through streets of Khartoum.
The leading protest group accused the ruling military Council of an attempt to break up the camp, defining the action “a massacre”. The Council explained the security forces had targeted “unruly” groups in an adjacent area.
An alliance of protest and opposition groups announced they would halt all contact with the military Council. The two sides had been negotiating for weeks a transitional period following the overthrow of Omar Al Bashir, but without any progress.
The Transitional Military Council (TMC) had offered to let protesters form a governmental body but insists on maintaining overall authority during an interim period. The demonstrators demand the civilians to run the transitional period to ensure construction of democratic state.
After the outbreak of violence a group of medics related to the opposition said nine “martyrs” had been killed in June 3 violence and that the number of casualties was still rising.
One policeman and three protesters were killed in Sudan Khartoum and many other demonstrators were wounded, state TV said.
The Transitional Military Council (TMC), which took over after the army overthrew President Omar al-Bashir in April blamed the violence on saboteurs who demonstrated discontent with the transition deal.
After the incidents Sudan’s ruling military council warned that it would not allow “chaos”. Four people were killed in violence that broke out over an agreement on a political transition reached by the generals and protest groups.
The new head of Sudan’s transitional military council said on April 13 that a civilian government would be established after consultations with opposition forces and promised that the transitional period would last for a maximum of two years.
In his first broadcast address, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan Abdelrahman announced e was cancelling a night curfew ordered by his predecessor General ibn Auf and ordered the release of all prisoners jailed under emergency laws imposed by ousted President Omar al-Bashir.
“For months, the people of Sudan have peacefully and with determination called for change” says the statement of the EU top diplomat Federica Mogherini on the situation in Sudan.
“As underlined by the Chairperson of African Union Commission in his statement today, a military council does not provide the answers and breaches the principles of the African Union Charter.”
“Only a credible and inclusive political process can meet the aspirations of the Sudanese people and lead to the political and economic reforms the country needs.”
“That can only be achieved through a swift handover to a civilian transitional government. In that process, all must exercise calm and utmost restraint.”
Image above: Federica Mogherini (archive photo).
Incumbent President of Sudan Omar al-Bashir was overthrown and arrested in a coup d’état by the military, but protesters came to the streets demanding the army the peaceful transition of power to civilians.
The President Bashir (75) was arrested by military after months of demonstrations against his rule protracted for three decades rule.
In an address on state television, Defence Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf, announced the presidential elections will be organised ater a two-year period of military rule.
Auf explained Bashir was being detained in a “safe place” and a military council would now run the country, but he did not reveal the names of the military to ascend to the positions.
Sudanese state News agency SUNA informed the President of the Republic, Marshal Omar al-Bashir in his capacity of the Supreme commander presided over the meeting of the Defence and National Security Council. The Council stressed the importance of gathering the national class and achieving peace and the need to invoke the “voice of reason” to spare the country from “slipping into sedition“.
The news agency also quoted police spokesman General Hashim Abdel-Rahim as saying that one person was killed during “disturbances” in Omdurman.
Officials say 31 people have died in protest-related violence so far, but according to Human Right Watch sources indicate that the death toll is much higher, reaching 51 victims, including children and medics.
SUNA news also reported that civilians and policemen were injured in the demonstrations, citing police reports as thousands of protesters clashed with security forces near the President’s residence.