Mali’s council of ministers has sacked Sidy Alassane Toure. the governor of Mopti region, after armed group killed dozens of people in the latest eruption of ethnic violence, it informed in a statement on Sobane Da village massacre. (Image: illustration Mopti view).
Unindentified attackers believed to belong to the Fulani ethnic group raided a Dogon village near town Bankass, killing 35 people, according to the government, although a local authority maintains the real figure is 95 deaths. Neither has produced evidence for these tolls.
The government also declared three days of national mourning in the official annoucement.
“Drawing lessons from this tragedy, the council of ministers dismissed the Mopti region’s governor,” the council announced via an issued statement. Sidy Alassane Toure was the latest government official to lose his job as a result of authorities’ failure to contain spiraling ethnic violence around Mopti.
Malians have grown increasingly critical of failures of Keita‘s government to protect them from both ethnic violence and armed radical groups affiliated to al-Qaeda and the ISIS terrorists.
Hundred civilians were killed by armed groups in the village of Sobane in central Mali. On the same day, some 20 people were killed during an attack in the commune of Arbinda, in northern Burkina Faso.s
“We offer our condolences to the families of the victims, as well as to the people and governments of Mali and Burkina Faso. These abuses against populations may constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity. Investigations must be conducted immediately and the perpetrators brought to justice as soon as possible” reads the statement of the spokesperson of the European External Action Service.
“In the face of this rise in violence against civilians, it is urgent that the Malian and Burkinabe authorities redouble their efforts to ensure the protection of the population and engage in the implementation of processes of dialogue and reconciliation with the population. all communities. A process of disarmament and the dismantling of all the militias and self-defense groups operating in these areas must also be urgently undertaken.”
The European Union will continue to support Mali and Burkina Faso and stand alongside the entire Sahel region to contribute to peace, security and the satisfaction of people’s needs”.
Image above: Sahel village (illustration)
Image below: Sabane-Kou village on map.
More than 17 soldiers in Niger were killed and 11 went missing in an ambush close to Mali border, a government spokesman said.
The offensive was launched near the town of Tongo Tongo, where fighters from an Islamic State affiliate previously killed four U.S. special forces and four Nigerien soldiers.
“…The governments of Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and Chad – member states of the G5 Sahel, a regional organization for security cooperation created in 2014 – are having great difficulty in facing the progressive spread of jihadist violence and the strengthening of criminal trafficking networks”, Ph.D Camillo Casola writes.
G5 Sahel countries – Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania, and Niger– are expected to have a meeting in Brussels next week to enhance security and military cooperation with the EU amid intensified attacks of Islamic terrorists.
“The massacre of more than 130 people, including women and children, and the destruction of the village of Ogossagou this Saturday morning by armed men dressed as traditional hunters raises the greatest indignation of the European Union. Immediate measures to ensure the security and protection of populations in central Mali, and in particular Fulani villages, are needed. This includes the disarmament and dismantling of all militias in the region” says the text of the declaration of the European External Actions Service (EEAS) spokesperson. (Image above: illustration)
“The EU extends its condolences to the families of the victims of this attack and to the people of Mali who deserve to live in peace. It urges the authorities to conduct a full investigation of these abuses and to prosecute the perpetrators, otherwise insecurity will continue, the rule of law will recede and tensions between communities will continue to pose extremely serious risks to the stability of the country. country.”
“The European Union and the international community stand with Mali to support the government’s efforts for security, stability and to ensure the redeployment of the state and basic services to the people in the center of the country.”
Gunmen attacked and briefly seized a Malian army base overnight, killing at least 16 military and destroying five vehicles in central Mopti region, said two local officials in the area where the attack occurred. Army spokesman Colonel Diarran Kone confirmed the attack took place but declined further details.
The base is in the village of Dioura, the mayor of the nearest town Kareri, Youssouf Coulibaly, confirmed, that the Central Mali has in the past few years been overrun by Islamic radicals with links to Al Qaeda.
“I’m currently inside the base and there were many deaths here. We’ve counted 16 so far,” Mr. Coulibaly said. (Below interactive map of fatalities and violent episodes in Mali since August 2014).
On Sunday morning, the peacekeepers were again targeted in Mali by those who want to spread fear and division.
The terrorist attack on a MINUSMA camp deployed in northern Mali caused the death of eight Chadian contingent soldiers, as well as dozens of wounded.
“The European Union extends its sincere condolences to the families of the victims, Chad, Mali and the United Nations, and wishes a speedy recovery to the wounded. This attack also strikes the entire international community. Those responsible must be arrested and prosecuted” says the statement of the European External Actions Service spokesperson.
“We reiterate our strong support for those who work for the restoration of peace in Mali, such as MINUSMA and Barkhane. The European Union will continue to work alongside Mali in this direction, as well as with the other G5 Sahel countries – some of which have recently been attacked – to roll back terrorism and allow people to live in safety and harmony. The recent resumption of Joint Force operations, which the European Union strongly supports, is in this respect a favorable development.”
Nusrat al-Islam militants claim the mortar (or rocket) attack carried out on July 29th 2018 against a military camp in Aguelhok, Kidal region. The group also says that it will not end its attacks against France until French soldiers have left their country.
Nusrat al-Islam is It is the official branch of Al-Qaeda in Mali after its leaders swore allegiance to Ayman al-Zawahiri, the incumbent leader of the terrorist group.
Some of the experts monitoring terrorism offered the translation of the text in Arabic: