Colonel Gaddafi’s son liberated by militants

 

Said al-Islam Gaddafi –  the youngest son of the assassinated Colonel Gaddafi (+20.10.2011) the longstanding leader of Libya – has been realised by the supporters of his father, according to sources from Tobruk Parliament.

The mean stream media (MSM) does not inform about the detail of his liberation. According to the BBC sources,  Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, second son of  Col Muammar Gaddafi, is said to have been freed “under an amnesty”. His father’s preferred successor, he had been held by a militia in the town of Zintan for the past six years after Gaddafi’s assassination,

“The death of Muammar Gaddafi on the 20th of October last year in Syrte is one of the questions to be clarified. There is a serious suspicion that this act was one of the war crimes” – said Luis Moreno-Camp the General prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) commenting on the death  (Le Figaro, 16 December 2011). At the moment it is unclear is Saif Al Islam would launch a legal action to investigate the assassination of his father, casting a long shadow on the Western leaders, especially on former French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the UK Prime Minister Tony Blair.

The assassination of Colonel Gaddafi lead to collapse of the Libyan state, and taking over of the immense Libyan territories by multiple groups of jihadists  – the consequences the Western leaders have not foreseen, when they started to bombard Libya, violating  the UN resolution 1973. The assassination of Gaddafi, and subsequent collapse of Libyan state became a detonator of an ongoing #migrantcrisis in Europe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EU expects ceasefire in Tripoli

“The fighting in Tripoli on recent days has broken a hard-wrought ceasefire that had been in place since March. The renewed violence puts at risk the promising start to a dialogue aimed at fostering reconciliation in Libya,” – says the statement of the European Action Service spokesperson.

“We expect the  warring factions to restore the ceasefire. There is no military solution to Libya’s political crisis,”  – the EEAS continues.

“The EU calls on Libya’s political leaders from all sides to come together to resolve the conflict through negotiation and compromise, in a Libya-led process under the aegis of the UN.”

“The people of Libya desire peace and are hoping for the chance to rebuild their lives in a stable, secure and prosperous country.  The EU, working together in the Libya Quartet with the African Union, the League of Arab States and the UN, continues to support this.”

Abedi’s brother arrested in Tripoli

The younger brother of the suicide bomber Salman Abedi who killed 22 people at a concert venue in Manchester has been arrested in Tripoli on suspicion of links with Islamic State, according to the  spokesman for a local counter-terrorism force.

The force, known as Rada, detained Hashem Abedi, who was born in 1997, on Tuesday evening 23.05.2017, spokesman Ahmed Bin Salem told Reuters.

 

EU “committed to Libya”

The European Union (EU), the African Union (AU), the League of Arab States (LAS), and the United Nations (UN) met in Brussels on 23rd May 2017 to assess developments in Libya since their last meeting in Cairo on 18th March 2017 and further coordinate their efforts to advance the political process and assist Libya in its democratic transition.

JOINT COMMUNIQUE:
1. The European Union (EU), the African Union (AU), the League of Arab States (LAS), and the United Nations (UN) met in Brussels on 23rd May 2017 to assess developments in Libya since their last meeting in Cairo on 18th March 2017 and further coordinate their efforts to advance the political process and assist Libya in its democratic transition.

2. The meeting was chaired by the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission Ms. Federica Mogherini and attended by the AU High Representative for Libya, former President Jakaya Kikwete, the Secretary General of the League of Arab States, Mr. Ahmed Aboul Gheit, and the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya, Mr. Martin Kobler.
3. The Quartet reiterated its commitment to the sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and national unity of Libya and its institutions under the Libyan Political Agreement signed in Skhirat while renewing its call to cease contacts with parallel institutions outside the Libyan Political Agreement. It underscored the urgent need for a Libyan-led peaceful resolution of the political crisis and reiterated its rejection of the threat or use of armed force by any Libyan party as well as any foreign military intervention in Libya. (Full text at the site of the EEAS).

EU calls Liybans for compromise

The clashes and escalation of violence in the south of Libya endanger the political process and put Libyan citizens’ lives at risk.

Libya figting
“Libyans deserve peace and stability, and expect all sides to refrain from violence and take measures to de-escalate the tense situation. Libya’s political crisis can only be solved through negotiation between all stakeholders based on a willingness to compromise and by putting the interests of Libyans first” – says the statement of the  European Externatl Action Service (EEAS).

‘The United Nations remains the framework through which the international community continues to support Libya’s political settlement. The European Union is determined to continue supporting this process, including through the Libya Quartet with the United Nations as well as the African Union and the Arab League” – concluded the EEAS statement.

South Libya clashes

 

The clashes and escalation of violence in the south of Libya endanger the political process and put Libyan citizens’ lives at risk.

Libya’s unity government in Tripoli has called for “urgent intervention” by the international community to end military escalation in its south, warning of a possible “civil war”.

For more than a week, militias allied to the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) have fought off rival forces trying to capture an airbase in the south of the North African country.

 

 

 

“We ask you to take a firm and decisive stance with regards to this escalation and we will support all decisions to re-establish security and stability in Libya,” GNA head Fayez al-Sarraj wrote in a letter published on Saturday.  (Photo: illustration)