A suicide bomber drove a car loaded with explosives into the Asasey hotel in the port of Kismayo, Somalia, followed by the gunmen, who stormed popular among travelers location. Radical Islam militants of al-Shabab have claimed the attack, the most devastating act of jihad in Kismayo since fighters were forced out in 2012. (Image above: illustration).
Famous TV presenter Hodan Naleyah (43), and her husband Farid were among the victims. A local politician, three Kenyans, three Tanzanians, two Americans and one Briton among the killed, the authorities confirmed.
Al-Shabab, affiliated to al Qaeda terrorist group, often uses car bombs to infiltrate heavily fortified targets like the hotel in Kismayo, which has enjoyed relative calm since 2012.
The president of the European People’s Party (@EPP) Joseph Daul expressed his condolences after terrorist attack in Tunis: “Very saddened by the attack today in #Tunis. My thoughts are with the families of the victims. This tragedy is a painful reminder of the risks that police forces face in ensuring our safety”.
This week two suicide blasts have shocked the capital of Tunisia, killing at least one police officer and wounding several people.
The first explosion on June 27 involved a suicide bomber who targeted a police patrol on Tunis downtown in Charles de Gaulle Street, close to French embassy building.
One police officer was killed, and another was wounded, according to the interior ministry statement. Three civilians were injured, however there was no further detail on gravity of their wounds.
Body parts were seen on the road around the police car, an AFP news agency reported.
A second jihadist committed suicide attack shortly afterwards on a national guard base in the capital’s al-Qarjani district, the interior ministry said. Four security personnel were wounded in that attack.
Islamic State (IS) terrorist group killed 10 Nigerian soldiers in an assault on the northeastern town of Magumeri, the group claimed through related news agency AMAQ.
The organization leading jihad said the attack on the soldiers took place in the town in northeastern Borno state on May, 1. It published atrocious pictures of burned barracks and dead bodies claiming they are from the site.
Fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province faction of Boko Haram in trucks and on motorcycles stormed into the base in the town of Magumeri, around 40 km (25 miles) northwest of Borno state capital Maiduguri, AFP reported.
Several sources in Nigeria, including one military, confirmed the killings, adding that the fighters stormed the town at roughly 1745 local time (1645 GMT), overran military personnel and raided local shops.
More than 40 people from the Tuareg community have been killed in two separate attacks by suspected jihadist offensive in north-eastern Mali, officials say. Majority of the victims were young men.
The attacks happened in the remote Menaka region on Thursday(26/04) and Friday (27/04).
They are believed to have been carried out in an act of revenge after Tuareg attacks on jihadist camps in recent weeks.
Much of north-eastern Mali is turmoil despite a 2015 peace deal between the government and Tuareg rebels and the presence of an international force.
Tuaregs seized parts of the region, including the African World Heritage city of Timbuktu, in 2012, claiming their ‘historic’ rights on the area.
Later the territories were later taken over by Islamist fighters linked to al-Qaeda, until they were repelled in a French-led military operation in 2013.
Italian police arrested five Maghrebins as part of a major operation against suspected supporters of Islamist terrorism in central and southern Italy. Previously a teacher, indoctrinating children with martyrdom ideology was also arrested in counter-terrorism operation.
“A vast anti-terrorism operation” was being carried out by special investigation forces based in Rome and region, namely in the nearby town of Latina, police said in a statement.
The five Tunisians detained are suspected of being part of a broader network connected to Anis Amri, the other migrant from Tunis who killed 12 people when he drove a truck into a Christmas market in Berlin (2016).
Amri was shot dead by Italian police near Milan four days after the Berlin attack.
Said al-Islam Gaddafi – the youngest son of the assassinated Colonel Gaddafi (+20.10.2011) the longstanding leader of Libya – has been realised by the supporters of his father, according to sources from Tobruk Parliament.
The mean stream media (MSM) does not inform about the detail of his liberation. According to the BBC sources, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, second son of Col Muammar Gaddafi, is said to have been freed “under an amnesty”. His father’s preferred successor, he had been held by a militia in the town of Zintan for the past six years after Gaddafi’s assassination,
“The death of Muammar Gaddafi on the 20th of October last year in Syrte is one of the questions to be clarified. There is a serious suspicion that this act was one of the war crimes” – said Luis Moreno-Camp the General prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) commenting on the death (Le Figaro, 16 December 2011). At the moment it is unclear is Saif Al Islam would launch a legal action to investigate the assassination of his father, casting a long shadow on the Western leaders, especially on former French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the UK Prime Minister Tony Blair.
The assassination of Colonel Gaddafi lead to collapse of the Libyan state, and taking over of the immense Libyan territories by multiple groups of jihadists – the consequences the Western leaders have not foreseen, when they started to bombard Libya, violating the UN resolution 1973. The assassination of Gaddafi, and subsequent collapse of Libyan state became a detonator of an ongoing #migrantcrisis in Europe.
France has killed more than 20 militants hiding in a forest near the border between the West African countries of Mali and Burkina Faso this weekend, its regional force said in a statement.
The operation followed the death of a French soldier nearby earlier this month. It involved both air and ground strikes, the statement said. It did not identify the militant group.
Mali has been regularly hit by Islamist militant violence, despite a 2013 French-led operation to drive them out of key northern cities they had seized. It extended a state of emergency by six months this weekend.