Egypt authorities accuse Hasm group ( Arabic: حسم), which emerged in 2016, deriving from the of the banned Muslim Brotherhood. The oldest Islamist movement of Egypt denies the allegations and insists it seeks change through peaceful means only.
The Interior ministry said in a statement announced by state TV channels that its national security forces had information that leaders of the armed Hasm group were planning “to carry out a series of attacks during the coming period to trigger chaos in the country“.
The statement did not indicate whether the suspected fighters were connected to Sunday’s #Giza attack, but informed the Egyptian forces killed them during raids. There were no further details on the operation, but a clarification on weapons and explosives found at the site.
An explosion targeting a bus with tourists, sightseeing in Giza has injured at least 14 people near the Grand Egyptian Museum, next to the pyramids.
Four hostages have been rescued by the military in Burkina Faso, the Ministry of foreign affairs of France informed in a communique.
Two French, one American woman and one South Korean woman.
It is with profound sadness that the government informed about the death of two French soldiers were slain during the operation. Four kidnappers were also neutralized.
The French hostages had been kidnapped in neighboring Benin on 1 May.
The two soldiers who were killed during the rescue were named as Cédric de Pierrepont and Alain Bertoncello, described by officials as belonging to a special operations unit.
The French military posted photos of the soldiers on social media.
Burkina Faso has suffered more than 230 attacks in just over three years. In April more than 60 people died in ethnic clashes fueled by Islamic radicals attempting to gain control over Sahel.
Niger governmental troops have eliminated more than 280 Boko Haram militants in combat and in air strikes since an operation against the radical Islam group last week, the defence ministry said.
Boko Haram has intruded Niger, Chad and Cameroon from its base in northeast Nigeria, where it has been fighting for more than nine years to establish a religious Islamic state – Caliphate.
The defence ministry informed that the army mounted an intense operation against the militants in the end of 2018 along the Komadugu river, which separates Niger from Nigeria.
More than 200 militants were “neutralized” by air strikes and 87 were killed by Nigerien troops in combat it said.
Morocco arrested a Swiss-Spanish double national on December 29 in connection with the killing of two Scandinavian tourists (pictured above), the counter-terrorism agency confirmed.
The authorities said he also held Spanish nationality with residence in Morocco.
The suspect was arrested for “involvement in recruiting Moroccan and sub-Saharan nationals to carry out terrorist plots in Morocco against foreign targets and security forces in order to take hold of their service weapons”, the Central Bureau for Judicial Investigations (BCIJ) said.
Nineteen other men have been arrested in connection with the case, including four main suspects who had pledged allegiance to Islamic State in a video made three days before the tourists’ before killings of Scandinavian women.
However police and domestic intelligence spokesman Boubker Sabik this week described the four men as “lone wolves”, and said “the crime was not coordinated with Islamic State”.
Mutilated corpses of Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, from Denmark, and Maren Ueland, 28, from Norway were found by passing by tourists on December 17 near the village of Imlil in the Atlas Mountains.
More than 40 people from the Tuareg community have been killed in two separate attacks by suspected jihadist offensive in north-eastern Mali, officials say. Majority of the victims were young men.
The attacks happened in the remote Menaka region on Thursday(26/04) and Friday (27/04).
They are believed to have been carried out in an act of revenge after Tuareg attacks on jihadist camps in recent weeks.
Much of north-eastern Mali is turmoil despite a 2015 peace deal between the government and Tuareg rebels and the presence of an international force.
Tuaregs seized parts of the region, including the African World Heritage city of Timbuktu, in 2012, claiming their ‘historic’ rights on the area.
Later the territories were later taken over by Islamist fighters linked to al-Qaeda, until they were repelled in a French-led military operation in 2013.
Authorities in eastern Libya have announced a conference in March to enforce support to rebuild the country’s second-largest city Benghazi heavily damaged during three years of fighting between Marshal Khalifa Haftar troops and Islamists.
The announcement signals a desire to demonstrate a return to normality in the port, where top military commander Khalifa Haftar declared the end of a campaign to oust Islamist fighters in July.
Clashes have sporadically continued in some isolated areas, while life has returned in the rest of the city, though some districts were almost completely destroyed by shelling and air strikes.
A forum titled “International Conference and Exhibition for rebuilding Benghazi city” will be held from March 19-21, the organizers said in an invitation posted online, adding that a six-day exhibition would be held the same month.