“The European Union expresses its deepest condolences to the victims and their families and wishes a prompt recovery to those wounded in this act of terror”, the European External Action Service spokesperson said, reacting upon a car bomb explosion in Cairo on August 4, which has left at least 20 people dead, and many injured.
“The European Union stands side by side with Egypt in its efforts to defeat terrorism in the country”.
An explosion in Cairo was terrorist-related, Egypt‘s president Al Sisi said.
“I extend my deepest condolences to the Egyptian people and the families of the martyrs killed in the cowardly terrorist incident in the vicinity of the Kasr al-Aini area yesterday evening,” he wrote in his official social media account, paying tribute to victims.
The raids, conducted at dawn Saturday, December 29, targeted three whereabouts of suspected terrorists who were planning hostile acts during the Christmas holidays, according to the state-run Al-Ahram online newspaper.
Ammunition, firearms and improvised explosive devices were recovered in significant numbers, Al-Ahram said, citing the Interior ministry statement.
The raids were ordered after the bus attack “as a continuation of the ministry’s efforts in chasing terrorist elements involved in the implementation of hostile operations seeking to destabilize the country’s security,” the statement said.
“Information was available to the national security sector about the preparation and planning of a series of terrorist attacks targeting state institutions, especially economy, tourism industry, armed forces, police and Christian houses of worship.”
Three Vietnamese tourists and an Egyptian tour guide were killed and at least 11 people were injured in the attack December 28, in a lively tourist area of Giza, near Cairo, at proximity of Great pyramids.
The EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn condemned the terrorist attack in Tunis, committed by a woman (29) suicide bomber; who blew herself up near police vehicles in the center of the Tunisian capital, killing one policeman and injuring nine pedestrians.
The attack followed a chain of terrorist acts since June 2015, when 38 people were killed in a shooting rampage at the coastal resort of Sousse targeting tourists, while an attack the same year on the National Bardo Museum in Tunis left 22 people dead.
The terror attacks targeted Tunisia’s crucial tourism sector, which at times reached seven percent of gross domestic product.
The country has been under a state of emergency since November 2015, when an IS-claimed suicide bombing in Tunis killed 12 presidential guards.
The state of emergency was extended earlier this month until November 6, amid a tense political climate ahead of legislative and presidential elections planned for next year.