Libya: EU promotes Berlin process

“Confronted with the worrying recent military escalation in Libya and also in view of the Foreign Affairs Council scheduled for Friday 10th January, we met in Brussels today to reaffirm our commitment to immediately halt the fighting around Tripoli and elsewhere and to discuss how the EU can further contribute to the UN mediation and…

Turkey intervention in Libya causes EU concerns

“The European Union expresses its strong concern about Turkey’s Grand National Assembly’s decision on Thursday, 2 January, to authorise military deployments in Libya. The EU reiterates its firm conviction that there is no military solution to the Libyan crisis. Actions supporting those who are fighting in the conflict will only further destabilise the country and…

EU diplomacy welcomes Kamto liberation

“President Biya’s decision to stop military court proceedings against several leaders and activists of political parties and movements, including the “Mouvement pour la renaissance du Cameroun” and its president, Maurice Kamto, represents an important gesture of appeasement” says the text of the statement by the spokesperson of the European External Action Servie on the latest…

Security situation in Burkina Faso

“Over the past months, we have seen a continued and dramatic deterioration of the security situation in Burkina Faso. I would like to start by expressing our solidarity with the people of Burkina. More than 200 people were killed so far in 2019, including 60 victims in the last month” said Tytti TUPPURAINEN (pictured), Finnish Presidency,…

EU calls for ceasefire in Libya

At least 44 people died and 130 injured as a result of an airstrike inflicted on a migrant detention center in the suburb of the Libyan capital Tripoli, according to Reuters news agency local sources. At least 40 migrants dead in attack on detention centre #Libya #Tripoli pic.twitter.com/5slOya9rnv — Ruptly (@Ruptly) July 3, 2019 Italian…

EU calls Sudan for consensus

“The use of violence today against protesters and other civilians has led to deplorable loss of life. We express our condolences to the families and friends of the victims”, said  European External Action Service (EEAS) spokesperson (pictured) in a statement, commenting outbreak of violence in Khartoum on June 3. Statement on the current situation in Sudan…

EU supports Sudanese demand for civilian leadership

“For months, the people of Sudan have peacefully and with determination called for change” says the statement of the EU top diplomat Federica Mogherini on the situation in Sudan. “As underlined by the Chairperson of African Union Commission in his statement today, a military council does not provide the answers and breaches the principles of the…

EU expresses condolences to victims of Mali attack

“The massacre of more than 130 people, including women and children, and the destruction of the village of Ogossagou this Saturday morning by armed men dressed as traditional hunters raises the greatest indignation of the European Union. Immediate measures to ensure the security and protection of populations in central Mali, and in particular Fulani villages,…