Tag Archives: Borno

Borrell “shocked” by Borno state massacre

Brussels 29.11.2020 The EU top diplomat Josep Borrell expressed his shock and sadness, and determination to continue to pursue cause of peace and stability in Africa, while reacting upon the massacre in Borno state, which took place during the weekend in Zabarmari village.

“Deeply shocked by yet another horrific attack targeting innocent civilians in the North-East of Nigeria.
We have to continue our collective engagement against terror and violence to provide peace, security and stability for all people in Africa” he wrote on his Twitter micro blog.

Dozens of the men killed were also beheaded in a gruesome attack, which began on Saturday morning, November 28, in Zabarmari village in northeast Borno state, but the residents said a total of hundred people are feared dead, and abducted. (Image source: social media)

President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack and said “the entire country is hurt,” describing the killings as “senseless”.

So far no Islamist group claimed responsibility, but usually such massacres are conducted by Boko Haram or the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). They are both active terrorising the farmers in the region, where Islamic militants have killed at least 30,000 people in the past decade.

In Zabarmari the mourners surrounded the bodies of 43 farmers, which were wrapped in white burial shrouds and placed on wooden pallets, as clerics led prayers for the deceased.

Amnesty International said 10 women were among those missing, presumably kidnapped by the attackers.

Borno state governor Babagana Zulum, speaking at the burials, called on the Federal government to recruit more soldiers, Civilian Joint Task Force members and civil defence fighters to protect farmers in the region.

He described desperate choices facing people: “In one side, they stay at home they may be killed by hunger and starvation, on the other, they go out to their farmlands and risk getting killed by the insurgents,” he explained.

Food prices in Nigeria have risen dramatically over the past year, driven by flooding, border closures and insecurity in some food-producing areas, causing further difficulties for the population.

Villagers in northeast Nigeria’s Borno state on Sunday buried 43 farmers killed in an attack by suspected Islamist militants while security forces searched for dozens of people who are still missing.

Nigeria: jihadists abdicted hundreds of displaced

Insurgents from the Islamic State group West Africa Province (ISWAP), affiliated to Boko Haram, attacked Kukawa in the Lake Chad region late on August 18, seizing hundreds of people who had just returned to their homes after spending nearly two years in displacement camps, said Babakura Kolo, head of a local militia.

“The terrorists attacked the town in 22 trucks around 4:00 pm (1600GMT) yesterday and engaged soldiers guarding the town in a fierce battle,” he said.

Residents of Kukawa, escorted by the military, had returned to the town just on August 2, on the orders of the Borno state authorities.

They had been living in camps in the regional capital Maiduguri, 180 kilometers away, where they fled following a brutal attack in November 2018.

A local chief who accompanied the residents to the town said the people had returned with the hope of cultivating their farmlands “only to end up in the hands of the insurgents”.

“We don’t know what they would do to them but I hope they don’t harm them,” said the chief, who asked not to be identified for safety reasons.

A security source who confirmed the incident to AFP said fighter jets were deployed from Maiduguri on August 19 to “tackle the situation”, without giving further details.

Cameroon: Islamists attack refugee camp

Islamist group Boko Haram is suspected to be responsible for killing of 15 people and leaving the other six wounded in a grenade attack on a camp for displaced people in northern Cameroon on Sunday,August 2, a local official told. The village is located in the Mozogo district, close to the Nigerian border in the Far North region.

In the early hours, assailants threw a grenade into a group of sleeping people inside the camp in the village of Nguetchewe, said district mayor, Medjeweh Boukar. At present the camp is hosting around 800 people, he said.

Boukar was informed by the camp residents that 15 people had died. A security official confirmed the attack and the death toll. The wounded were taken to a nearby hospital, they added. The image of mourners around a grave appeared on social media.

“The attackers arrived with a woman who carried the grenade into the camp,” Boukar said, underlinging that women and children were among the victims.

Over the past month there have been twenty incursions and attacks by suspected Islamist militants, Boukar said.

The other Boko Haram suspect attack took place in State Borno, Nigeria, on July 30.

Boko Haram has been fighting for a decade to establish an Islamic caliphate on the territory of Nigeria. «6 people killed, 27 wounded by 4 explosives fired into Borno state capital #Maiduguri, by suspected #BokoHaram insurgents yesterday 30 Jul, #Nigeria police reports. Attack, following failed attempt to invade army barracks 13 Jul, is 2nd major breach of city’s security in 3 weeks» wrote on his Twitter micro blog Nnamdi Obasi, the senior adviser for International Crisis group from Nigeria.

The violence, which has cost the lives of 30,000 people and displaced millions more, has frequently spilled over into neighbouring Cameroon, Niger and Chad.

Image above: social media

EU on COVID19 in Nigeria

“Attacks, abductions and killings of civilians by armed groups in northern Nigeria have killed over 160 people including 130 civilians since 28 May. Such heinous acts of terrorism and violence are intolerable. These attacks pose a serious threat to Nigeria’s security and to that of the wider region, including in the increasingly restive Northwest of the country” read the text of the Declaration of the top EU diplomat Josep Borrell and Commissioner for Crisis Management Janez Lenarčič on the latest attacks.

“The ongoing conflict, growing food insecurity and COVID-19 pandemic significantly increase humanitarian needs in northeast Nigeria. International humanitarian law must be safeguarded and respected by all parties to the conflict, in Nigeria and elsewhere. Civilian and humanitarian personnel should not be targeted, and all parties should facilitate unimpeded passage of humanitarian relief for civilians in need.

“The EU stands by Nigeria and its people in this period of increased violence and instability”.

Boko Haram attacks in Borno and Katsina

Nigeria states  Borno and Katsina witnessed attacks from Boko Haram terrorist group. Both states recorded scores of deaths from the attacks on June 9.

As Borno confirmed 81 deaths, Katsina recorded 40, with many sustaining degrees of injuries. Houses were reportedly set ablaze and dozens of women raped.

Among killed 81 civilian and scores injured when suspected members of Boko Haram sect on June 9 invaded Zowo village, 34km away from Gubio town, in Borno state.

The attack also saw the killing of 23 animals, including cows, donkeys, goats and sheep’s.

Reports indicated on June 9 that 69 people were killed instantly during the attack, while 12 others lost their lives on June 10 after sustaining severe gunshot injuries, and in the process of fleeing into the bush, the victims died, bringing the total casualties to 81. “The insurgents burnt around 250 homes and looted goods. They said the act was to punish residents whom they alleged were providing information on their movement to security agencies” a security source told SaharaReporters.

Major General  John Enenche (pictured), the Coordinator Defense Media Operations made a press statement:

In continuation of aggressive clearance operations across the North-East aimed at decisively ending terrorism in the region, more Boko Haram/ISWAP criminals have been neutralised while others have been arrested.

“On 8 June 2020, troops of 192 Battalion, Gwoza, Borno State conducted a daring and well-coordinated commando raid on a Boko Haram criminals’ hideout at Kwatara on the Mandara Mountains. The successful operation led to the neutralization of several terrorists while many others fled with gunshot wounds”.

Nigeria imposes ID cards in three States

Nigerian  will require the travelers in three northeastern states to carry identification cards in an effort to track the members of Boko Haram and Islamic State, the army statesman announced.

The new requirement follows credible information that members of the two terrorist groups were hiding among civilians in the towns and villages of the states.

The army said it would “strictly check” the ID card of those moving or passing through the states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.

EU expresses solidarity with Nigeria in aftermath of Badu massacre

More than 60 people have lost their lives after suspected Boko Haram militants opened fire at a funeral procession in Borno state, Nigeria.

Gunmen arrived on motorcycles and in vans at the village near the state capital, Maiduguri, during weekend eyewitnesses said.

A number of mourners were reportedly killed at spot while others died trying to chase off the attackers.

President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack, and ordered the air force and army to hunt down those who carried it out.

Local government official Muhammed Bulama expressed an opinion the latest attack was a revenge for the killing of 11 Boko Haram fighters by the villagers two weeks ago.

The EU stands united with the Nigerian government and people in the fight against terrorism. Together, we are determined to keep promoting and supporting cooperation among neighboring countries and communities to eradicate terrorism in all its forms. The EU’s recent participation at the 2nd Governors Forum held in Niamey on 17-18 July visible confirms this engagement” says the text of the statement attributed to European External Action Service (EEAS) spokesperson. “The EU has been present in the region and is delivering assistance to the population in need since the beginning of the Boko Haram insurgency.”

IS claims Magumeri killings

Islamic State (IS) terrorist group killed 10 Nigerian soldiers in an assault on the northeastern town of Magumeri, the group claimed through related news agency AMAQ. 

The organization leading jihad said the attack on the soldiers took place in the town in northeastern Borno state on May, 1. It published atrocious pictures of burned barracks and dead bodies claiming they are from the site.

Fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province faction of Boko Haram in trucks and on motorcycles stormed into the base in the town of Magumeri,   around 40 km (25 miles) northwest of Borno state capital Maiduguri,   AFP reported.

Several sources in Nigeria, including one military, confirmed the killings, adding that the fighters stormed the town at roughly 1745 local time (1645 GMT), overran military personnel and raided local shops.

Boko Haram killed aid worker

Boko Haram jihadists have killed another kidnapped aid worker in northeast Nigeria, the government said, the news came a month after one of her colleagues was murdered.

Information minister Lai Mohammed did not identify the victim but described her killing as “dastardly, inhuman and ungodly”, and vowed to push for the release of two remaining female captives — an aid worker and a 15-year-old girl — held since earlier this year.

Three female health workers were kidnapped during a Boko Haram raid on the remote town of Rann, in Borno state, on March 1, during the same raid three other aid workers and eight Nigerian soldiers were killed.