Brussels 30.10.202 2At least 100 people have been killed and 300 injured after two explosions shattered the capital of Somalia in an ongoing attack on the country’s education ministry. The attack occurred in a busy area where several key government offices are situated, and on a day when the nation’s President, Prime minister and other senior officials were meeting to discuss violent extremism. (Image: social media)
President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud confirmed the death toll in a statement on Sunday on October 30 as he visited the site of the blasts outside the education ministry in Mogadishu.
“Our people who were massacred… included mothers with their children in their arms, fathers who had medical conditions, students who were sent to study, businessmen who were struggling with the lives of their families,” the President said.
Brusssels 07.06.2022 The European Union is shocked by and condemns Sunday’s armed attack on churchgoers in Owo, Ondo State, Southwest of Nigeria, in which scores of defenceless worshippers were killed.
“The unacceptable attacks by non-state armed groups are becoming recurrent in various parts of Nigeria and the senseless violence has now spread to the hitherto peaceful state of Ondo” read the statement by the High Representative Josep Borrell on the killing of worshippers in Owo.
“The EU stands in solidarity with the people of Ondo state, and in particular the families who have lost their loved ones. Those responsible for the despicable act should be speedily brought to justice”.
“The EU remains committed to working with the Nigerian authorities to stop this spiral of violence, find a lasting solution. We continue to support Nigeria in its efforts in building sustainable peace, deepening democracy and ensuring protection of fundamental human rights of all its people, including the right of worship and freedom of religion or belief”.
A group of gunmen killed about 20 people in an attack on a cattle market in eastern Burkina Faso on August 7, the government said in a statement.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack in the village of Fada N’Gourma, around which the army is conducting a search operation.
An eye witness who was at the scene at the time of the attack told to local press: “About ten men came on motorcycles with weapons. I was buying poultry as usual. They passed us and headed for the sheep and oxen buyers. Everything was going well when suddenly we heard the crackling of guns. Everyone fled to hide. And soon after, the guns were silent and in their places the screams pierced the sky. Without trying to confirm or know anything, we all fled to get into the stock market place. When we returned, there were bodies and many injured. Seized with fear and panic, I quickly returned to Fada.”
Armed jihadist groups with links to al Qaeda and Islamic State have killed hundreds of people in attacks over the last year in Sahelian country, forced more than half a million to flee, and eroded government control in most areas outside the capital.
The similar massacre took place in May, when a gumen opened fire killing 25 people in an attack on another cattle market in the eastern village of Kompienga.
Image: illustration, Burkina Faso village.
Nine soldiers have been killed in an ambush in the centre of Mali as they advancing on their way to the site of a massacre of villagers, an army official said.
The latest attack took place at the entrance to Gouari, where armed men entered and killed about 30 civilians the day before.
A military unit was immediatley dispatched to the site to help bury the 31 bodies, army spokesman Colonel Diarran Kone told AFP news agency.
On July 2 the army received information about a new attack and sent the unit to Gouari, the offical explained.
“When it arrived at around 8pm, the village seemed deserted, there were practically no signs of life,” he continuedr. “Just at the entrance, the FAMa (Malian Armed Forces) walked into an ambush,” he said, without naming who might be behind the attack.
“We regret that nine died and two were injured, and equipment was also destroyed.”
The European External Action Service expressed solidarity with the government of Burkina Faso and Burkinians in the wake of the terrorist attack on French Embassy in Ouagadougou targeting French Embassy, and Institute.
“The European Union expresses its sincere condolences to the families of the victims, and its full solidarity with the Government and all Burkinabe people” – says the text of the statement. “Our determination to support Burkina Faso as well as the states of the region in their fight against terrorism, at the national level as well as in the framework of the G5 Sahel and its joint force, remain unresolved, as emphasized on February 23 at the Conference. for the Sahel in Brussels. Faced with this common challenge, we remain united to meet them together.”
The information about the tall of the attack differs: the reports quote from 7 up to 28 dead and around 50 injured. At the moment there is no official confirmation from the behalf of French officials.
However the other channels reported 28 dead and 50 wounded as a result of multiple attacks in the capital, conducted simultaneously.