Horn of Africa tensions

Brussels 07.04.2025 The threat of war is looming over the Horn of Africa, while the observers warning of a return to fighting in Tigray, which could produce domino effect, causing conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea, Dr Abel Abate Demissie from Chatham House writes. Ethiopia’s ambition to secure Red Sea access, Eritrea’s interference in Ethiopia’s internal…

Ethiopia: EU stands by Pretoria agreement

Brussels 28.03.2025 The  EU  reiterates its calls  for the full implementation of the Pretoria agreement that ended the conflict between Ethiopia’s federal government and the Tigray rebels in 2022.  Nowadays  despite the peace agreement, signed in Pretoria, South Africa, in 2022 between the Government of Ethiopia and the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) ending the…

SA: refugees welcome to USA

Brussels 08.03.2025 The South African government said it will not engage in “counterproductive megaphone diplomacy” following the newest social media post by U.S. President Trump reiterating his position on confiscating land, and relevant law. Trump extended his invitation to relocate those seeking “to flee [South Africa] for reasons of safety” to all farmers and offered…

DRC-North Kivu: EU lukewarm response

Brussels 28.02.2025 The European diplomacy is still undecisive towards the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Rwanda, in spite of the dramatic degradation of the security situation in North Kivu, DRC. In a resolution adopted by the European parliament Plenary earlier this month MEPs demand to undertake urgent measures by the EU, including targeted sanctions, the…

DRC: EU Commission assesses relevant measures

Brussels 17.02.2025 Following the European Parliament Resolution, demanding the European Commission to take immediate action to restore peace in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the EU diplomacy is assessing the possible way forward. However the definite decision will be announced not earlier than on February 24th, when the top EU diplomats would convene in…

MEPs demand to freeze support to Rwanda

Strasbourg 16.02.2025 Rwandan-backed M23 fighters have entered Bukavu, the second-largest city in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo, taking under control the regional governor’s office. The March 23 Movement (M23) armed group announced on Saturday that its fighters had entered Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu Province in the eastern Democratic Republic…

DRC: Denis Mukwege calls to end violence

Strasbourg 11.09.2025 Denis Mukwege – the Sakharov prize winner addressed the EU press in the premises of the European Parliament, Strasbourg. In his speech he reiterated the call of the United Nations Human Rights Council to withdrawal of the Rwandan troops and the M23 fighters from the occupied areas in North & South Kivu, and…

EU-Rwanda-M23: considering measures

Brussels 06.02.2025 The EU considers measures to undertake in order to hold accountable those responsible “for sustaining armed conflict, instability, and insecurity” in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). “Also to support a peaceful resolution of the conflict”, said the European External Action Service spokesperson, when addressing the issue of the escalating conflict in the…

G7 top diplomats condemn M23 expansion

Brussels 03.02.2025 G7 Foreign Ministers’ Statement on the Escalation of Violence in the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo: On February 1, the #G7 Foreign Ministers issued the G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the escalation of violence in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo.https://t.co/AH2pYv7upq#G7Canada #DRC pic.twitter.com/RcVTbRwykb — MOFA of Japan (@MofaJapan_en) February 2, 2025…

DRC: EU reiterates demands to M23

Brussels 31.01.2025 In spite of the degrading security situation in Northern Kivu, DRC, the EU has not adapted its position, continuing to insist on the initial message. A week ago the issue was issued by the European Union diplomacy, requesting “… the M23 to stop its advance and withdraw immediately. The EU reiterates that Rwanda…