Killed and wounded people by security forces in eastern Ethiopia at the weekend were reported by senior regional official.
“The victims were all ethnic Oromos. The perpetrators were members of a paramilitary force,” said Negeri Lencho, spokesman for the Oromiya state administration.
The area has been plagued by instability. At present 37 killed and 44 wounded are reported by Addis media, all of them from Oromia region.
Former Rwandan Major Bernard Ntuyahaga, sentenced in 2007 by the Brussels Court to twenty years in prison for his participation in the killings of the ten Belgian peacekeepers on April 7, 1994 in Kigali, has served his sentence. After his release from prison, he seeks asylum in Belgium, said the Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration, Theo Francken.
The former officer of the former Rwandan Armed Forces (FAR) is in a closed center “for a return,” said Theo Francken (N-VA) on Twitter. The release of Bernard Ntuyahaga had been revealed earlier in the week. But the Office of the Commissioner General for Refugees and Stateless Persons (CGRA), which has to decide on a possible asylum application, refused to communicate on the subject on grounds of privacy.
Theo Francken confirmed that Mr. Ntuyahaga had made an asylum claim, adding that he was in a closed center “for a return“, but without specifying whether it is Rwanda. The Secretary of State reacted to a tweet from Vlaams Belang (opposition) who claimed to be the first to reveal this situation and asked Mr Francken and the Minister of Justice, Koen Geens (CD & V), to show responsibility. “This murderer in no way deserves a second chance,” added the far-right party.
“Let him go to Rwanda. We’ll see what will happen,” said Beatrice Bassinne, the widow of Corporal Bassinne, who was assassinated in Rwanda in 1994. she is against granting Bernard Ntuyahaga a political asylum in Belgium. Her husband was hacked to death with machete along with the other victims of genocide.
Zimbabwe’s opposition leader Nelson Chamisa, filed a court challenge against President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s election victory, he wrote on Twitter, a step that would delay Mnangagwa’s inauguration that had been planning for August, 12.
Under the constitution, a losing presidential candidate has seven days to challenge the result from when a winner is declared. The Constitutional Court must rule within 14 days and Mnangagwa’s inauguration would have to wait for the outcome of Chamisa’s challenge.
Earlier this month, Mnangagwa secured a comfortable victory, according to results from the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, polling 2.46 million votes against 2.15 million for the 40-year-old Chamisa. The opposition said the result was rigged.
The European Union and United States condemned violent attacks targeting the Zimbabwe opposition since elections last week, while 27 supporters of the MDC party were released on bail.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa, declared winner of the country’s first elections since the downfall of Robert Mugabe, again vowed to protect rights, but the government has been accused of overseeing a brutal post-vote crackdown.
“While the electoral process in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) begins a decisive step with the finalization of the candidatures for the presidential and legislative elections, the events of the last days testify to the need to ensure a peaceful and unhindered environment.Thus, the European Union fully supports the call of the President of the African Union Commission for the respect of the rights and freedoms of all Congolese, indispensable for the holding of a peaceful, transparent and truly inclusive election” -says the statement of the European External Action Service (EEAS) on electoral process in DRC.
“It recalls the importance of the commitment of all parties to respect the New Year’s Political Agreement, including the measures of relaxation, to ensure a fair and credible electoral competition.The European Union will continue to monitor the situation carefully and in close consultation with its partners, primarily the African Union and the United Nations.”
The four children of a fruit-seller gunned down by soldiers in Zimbabwe post-election violence buried their father on Saturday in the village of Chinamhora around 50 km northeast of Harare. The ceremony was followed by 200 mourners.
Ishmael Kumire, 41, was one of the six victims of Wednesday’s bloody chaos, sparked when troops fired on opposition activists protesting alleged electoral fraud.
According to his brother Steven Matope, the fruit-seller was not among the opposition protesters angrily claiming that the ruling ZANU-PF had stolen the election.
Instead, he was caught up in the violence because he had stayed at the scene of the protest to protect the goods in the shop.
“Ishmael was a vendor, he wasn’t a political activist,” Matope said.
“He supported the ruling party — but then, it’s the same ruling party that has killed him.”
His funeral came a day after ZANU-PF’s President Emmerson Mnangagwa was declared the winner of Zimbabwe’s historic elections, the first since autocrat Robert Mugabe was ousted by the military last year.
“If the ruling party is killing the people it is supposed to govern, I don’t know who it is going to rule. That’s very painful,” Matope added.
“He was just selling his tomatoes,” he said of his brother.
Ethiopian soldiers exchanged fire with members of local government security forces on in the country’s eastern Somali region after central authorities sought to arrest regional officials, via social media witnesses report scenes of violence.
Soldiers were deployed in the province’s capital Jijiga leading to a conflict with the region’s paramilitary forces.
Ethiopia’s Somali region has been plagued by violence for the last two decades. The government has fought the rebel Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) since 1984 after the group claimed secession of the region, also known under name of Ogaden.